Sign in to follow this  
MJG50

Buying a car that was first registered in Northern Ireland

I'm thinking of buying a car that was first registered in Northern Ireland, it's a dealer PX at the block with no V5. It looks as though the last owner was from London by the last service so although it was registered new in NI it seems as though it has resided in London more recently.

I've never bought an ex-NI car before so I was just wondered if there'd be any problem with applying for a new V5 and whether the V5 will be marked as a NI car and whether there are any other potential problems? The car is still on its original NI plate which I'm not a great fan of although quite a few people seem to favour old NI plates to cheaply disguise the age of the car. Is it possible to apply for a new V5 with the 62 plate the car would have had if registered new over here? I will probably apply for a V5 in my own name before selling the car as I can't imagine it would be too easy to sell it without the V5.

Thanks in advance :) 

Should be no problem with getting the v5 however it will show on hpi as import and I don’t think you can loose the ni number unless you put a private plate in it. 

I have sold a few and never had any hassle.

It might not be in trade yet with the DVA as it has no V5. If this is the case it’s a ball ache as the DVA might have to wait 21 days for the previous keeper not to respond to their request regarding they have sold it if you want it in your name. 

Apply to tax it in your name on a V62 if it’s in trade. Over here most folk are fine buying with no V5. We can’t do new keepers online, all new keepers must go to the post office to get tax with insurance etc..

phone Swansea for clarity though as it seems to change every month. Same tax office but different rules for NI cars. 

Once it’s in new keepers name and they have new V5, I believe you have to send a letter in to Swansea to get English plate. Same the other way if we want a NI number on a previous plate from the mainland. 

Have not done it in a while so rules may have changed. 

14 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

Should be no problem with getting the v5 however it will show on hpi as import and I don’t think you can loose the ni number unless you put a private plate in it. 

I have sold a few and never had any hassle.

We've had a few NI cars and never shown as import on Hpi, I thought it would only be Irish cars that would show as NI is part of UK and although number plates & MOTs are different there they are issued with a standard UK log book??

22 minutes ago, RJEauto said:

I thought it would only be Irish cars that would show as NI is part of UK and although number plates & MOTs are different there they are issued with a standard UK log book??

Yes of course. 

You can even ask the DVLA to remove the NI plate and assign a normal age-related UK one.