Sign in to follow this  
Del Boy

Dodgy auction tactics

On 12/06/2019 at 6:50 PM, Del Boy said:

I’m gonna keep this as short as I can, let the newbies know the sort of fun and games these big auction houses get up to...

I won a car from BCA about 6 weeks ago paid clean £3800 with a clear assured report. 

Went to collect it and the dash was lit up light a Christmas tree. After a week or so of BCA messing me about they agreed to a refund but had ‘lost’ the spare key and paperwork. They would not refund me until the docs were found. 

Eventually after 5 wasted phone calls I had to threaten them with court (via recorded letter) and eventually got my money back, albeit less the assured fee that they got wrong in the first place. 

Anyway, that was just the beginning. 

Since being refunded I have kept an eye on the car and the new assured report is showing all lights are on and also the listing correctly states no spare key/paperwork etc, fair enough. 

However it’s since gone through the hall FIVE TIMES. Each time the bid starts at about 2k and the auctioneer is pretending people in the hall are bidding however they are not. He is even saying things like ‘SOLD to the guy in the shorts!’ I’m looking around and no one is even looking at the car, let alone wearing shorts!  

Every time it’s ‘sold’ it appears in the list again the next day.  

I know this isn’t exactly breaking news for most of us, I just feel the newbies need to know they might be bidding against BCA not another trader. 

It was about time someone reported them to the office of fair trading...they do have powers to conduct undercover investigations... And power to rifle through paper work...