Sign in to follow this  
JA Trader

Warranty Newbie

I have only recently created this account but i have been trading for around 10 months now as well as having a full time job. We have a steady turn over of cars and have been doing okay so far working from home fortunately we have a fair amount of storage at our house.

The next step i think for me is to be able to offer a warranty to seem more professional and also put the customers mind at ease a little

What or who do you all use for some sort of warranty booklet to give to the clients . I have been reading online and understand you can use a company like lawgistics but would prefer to have a self administered warranty

Would you suggest offering it as an additional cost or standard with every purchase ?

Our main cars are the early R50/52/53 minis with low mileage. Few fiestas and BMW here and there as well. We give all the vehicles a once over and always fix anything broken so i don't think we would receive many warranty claims but i don't want to get burnt by one bad claim either

Hoping someone will be able to help and apply some insight.

Arfur dealy will be the best person for this

Edited by Tony911

Maybe do a search?  Or read down two threads?

Edited by Scrawf
Edit

2 minutes ago, Scrawf said:

Maybe do a search?

I have done a search and seen a few people have a few different opinions Lawgistics, A1 etc.

I was slightly confused about the booklet side of things to give to the customer do the relevant providers have something we can print of and provide ?

13 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

I have done a search and seen a few people have a few different opinions Lawgistics, A1 etc.

I was slightly confused about the booklet side of things to give to the customer do the relevant providers have something we can print of and provide ?

I have to be honest I was a bit confused at first too but I called Lawgistics and spoke with Joel.  He was extremely helpful and sent me over samples of the booklets to read through.  Why not get in touch with him directly and ask him your questions.  http://www.lawgistics.co.uk/authors/joel-combes#sthash.keHyEQjI.dpbs

You are on the hook from a CRA perspective anyway so the Lawgistics warranty adds a proper framework to that so your customer knows exactly what they should do and what they should expect.  Adds a touch of professionalism.

Edited by Scrawf
Edit

5 minutes ago, Scrawf said:

I have to be honest I was a bit confused at first too but I called Lawgistics and spoke with Joel.  He was extremely helpful and sent me over samples of the booklets to read through.  Why not get in touch with him directly and ask him your questions.  http://www.lawgistics.co.uk/authors/joel-combes#sthash.keHyEQjI.dpbs

You are on the hook from a CRA perspective anyway so the Lawgistics warranty adds a proper framework to that so your customer knows exactly what they should do and what they should expect.  Adds a touch of professionalism.

Thanks i will get in touch with him and see if he can help.

Completely understand with the CRA but i had a customer the other week who i think felt i was lying to him about the CRA and lost a sale as i couldn't provide a warranty. Since sold the car anyway but want to try and provide as much a i can to a customer to get the best reputation possible

• Like 1

As per the other thread. People do NOT want to hear “oh you’re covered by the CRA” because they don’t trust you and they’re not about to start thumbing through the CRA in your office. They want a shiny brochure, an arm round the shoulder, a warm fuzzy feeling that they have bought a nice car and not a pup. Some people don’t care and don’t even ask for a warranty. If you’re losing sales because of it, you need to provide them with that warm fuzzy feeling. Or, not care if you lose the occasional sale. 

8 minutes ago, EPV said:

As per the other thread. People do NOT want to hear “oh you’re covered by the CRA” because they don’t trust you and they’re not about to start thumbing through the CRA in your office. They want a shiny brochure, an arm round the shoulder, a warm fuzzy feeling that they have bought a nice car and not a pup. Some people don’t care and don’t even ask for a warranty. If you’re losing sales because of it, you need to provide them with that warm fuzzy feeling. Or, not care if you lose the occasional sale. 

Couldn't agree more and if i was a consumer i wouldn't want to hear about the or read through the CRA either. The customer i was trying to explain it to was concerned about something going wrong and having no cover when i pointed out the CRA.

I like to try and give the customer "that fuzzy feeling" i am waiting on a call back from lawgistics and i will take it from there.

Thanks for your comments

5 minutes ago, JA Trader said:

Couldn't agree more and if i was a consumer i wouldn't want to hear about the or read through the CRA either. The customer i was trying to explain it to was concerned about something going wrong and having no cover when i pointed out the CRA.

I like to try and give the customer "that fuzzy feeling" i am waiting on a call back from lawgistics and i will take it from there.

Thanks for your comments

you still need a competent person to carry out your warranty work

you need to make customers aware your warranty if self warranting is a return to base unless prior approval to repair elsewhere is in writing also things like hotels private airyplane to destination in the event of a breakdown isnt covered

you are basically giving the customer enhanced mechanical cover commensurate with a s/h product

attention is in the detail and get them to sign at pos to confirm they have read your terms and conditions and your gdpr statement

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JA Trader said:

I have only recently created this account but i have been trading for around 10 months now as well as having a full time job. We have a steady turn over of cars and have been doing okay so far working from home fortunately we have a fair amount of storage at our house.

The next step i think for me is to be able to offer a warranty to seem more professional and also put the customers mind at ease a little

What or who do you all use for some sort of warranty booklet to give to the clients . I have been reading online and understand you can use a company like lawgistics but would prefer to have a self administered warranty

Would you suggest offering it as an additional cost or standard with every purchase ?

Our main cars are the early R50/52/53 minis with low mileage. Few fiestas and BMW here and there as well. We give all the vehicles a once over and always fix anything broken so i don't think we would receive many warranty claims but i don't want to get burnt by one bad claim either

Welcome JA. The lawgistics booklets are great value for money, they legitimize your business and are very flexible in what you want to cover.  

15 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Welcome JA. The lawgistics booklets are great value for money, they legitimize your business and are very flexible in what you want to cover.  

I have been on the phone to them yesterday evening and they are sending me out a booklet for me to look over.

Thanks for everyone's advise.

On 06/06/2019 at 8:56 AM, JA Trader said:

Would you suggest offering it as an  additional cost  or standard with every purchase ?

Do not "sell" warranties unless your fca approved, you give warranties as a consequence of a sale, the cost will be hidden in the purchase price, if you "sell" warranties, as in warranting a car that you haven't sold, is similar to selling insurance [which is what it is] and you need to be approved.

"standard with every purchase" ? no! you should assess the car and the customer,

car might be a bit evil or old or over mileage, 

customer might be a bit evil or old or over enthusiastic !:D

18 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

Do not "sell" warranties unless your fca approved, you give warranties as a consequence of a sale, the cost will be hidden in the purchase price, if you "sell" warranties, as in warranting a car that you haven't sold, is similar to selling insurance [which is what it is] and you need to be approved.

"standard with every purchase" ? no! you should assess the car and the customer,

car might be a bit evil or old or over mileage, 

customer might be a bit evil or old or over enthusiastic !:D

Very interesting and thanks for coming back to me with that information. I didn't know about the FCA side of things so ill tread carefully with how i promote it and where i offer it. I would be happy providing a warranty on all of our cars but not to all of our customers ;)