Sign in to follow this  
Steve92

Test drives

I know this might relate to specific insurance companies but are there any set rules regarding test drives ?

i've had it in the past at a main dealer where "they" have to drive offsite, other times it's a case of do what you like. I assume there is no limit to how many people can be in the car or where they would sit, for example would someone from the business have to sit in the front or can the customers be in the front and you in the back ? Are test drives more company policy than insurance guided ?

Also with regards to trade plates, while I realise they cover the tax aspect, for a customer to be insured would the trade plates need to be on ? I'm thinking more when cars are still taxed while private plates are in the process of being transferred.

thanks

steve

Edited by Steve92

just put trade plates on every test drive and never ever do unaccompanied drives unless you have cast iron insurance to cover it,you need to confirm driver also has a clean licence prior to them wanting to drive your car at 40 in a 30 like they all want to

• Like 1

My insurance covers for unaccompanied demo's but I've never done one yet, I normally get a good bit of info out of them on test drive and always persuade them to take it a little bit further than they originally wanted. It amazes me how many of my local dealers only take them a couple of miles though town and never get out of 3rd gear.

On a side note, what's the worst test drive you've been on? Mine has to be a mid-20's lad in a Z3 who I asked to pull over and stop because he was scaring me so much - drove it like an absolute nutter!!

• Like 1

My insurance is only when accompanied by myself. 

As for test drives one lady simply couldn't drive full stop. after 100 yards of stalling I took over and drove. She bought the car though!

• Like 1

We do have a set route that takes in A and B roads and some dual carriageway, it's about 10 miles in total, we would vary it though if the customer only ever drove on motorways. We wouldn't allow unaccompanied test drives, the latest car we collected was an Audi R8 and I'd hate for them to go out on their own ....

The reason I ask is because someone went to a large car supermarket and the salesman had to sit in the front for insurance reasons which seems crazy to me. Do any of you check direct with the dvla under the new scheme or do you just ask to see a licence ?

scariest ride ..... Well to be fair he was in control, a 70 year old ex tvr Tuscan championship driver and a gen 2 Porsche Boxster 3.4 manual. He drove fairly quick !

the salesman had to sit in the front for insurance reasons which seems crazy to me.

Il be honest, Ive used that one myself as I didnt want to sit in the back with two screaming kids... 

• Like 2