Sign in to follow this  
Dave2302

Bee(stie)

I hope this little Bee(stie) is not gonna end up on my just Clear Coated panels, they have literally just had the final really wet coat :angry: It's about 50 degrees in here now, I've left the heater and extract running, he seems to be staying put lol

104081178_sam_1826.jpg

104081179_sam_1827.jpg

So, I've got a few sheds in my garden and one doesn't get opened often. When I eventually did open it up I happened to look up and there was a huge wasp nest hanging from the roof. I thought I'd be clever and spray some 'junk' on it but big mistake, as they erupted from the nest I stepped smartly back and tripped over the step of the shed, doing a complete backward roll out into the garden!

5 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

I hope this little Bee(stie) is not gonna end up on my just Clear Coated panels, they have literally just had the final really wet coat :angry: It's about 50 degrees in here now, I've left the heater and extract running, he seems to be staying put lol

104081178_sam_1826.jpg

104081179_sam_1827.jpg

Not a bad finish that, I remember years ago a customer asked me, what are these marks on the paint, I told them they were the footprints of a daddy long legs, they just laughed and bought it!

I wasn't lying.... i had picked the poor thing out of the paint the day before!

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

Not a bad finish that, I remember years ago a customer asked me, what are these marks on the paint, I told them they were the footprints of a daddy long legs, they just laughed and bought it!

I wasn't lying.... i had picked the poor thing out of the paint the day before!

Cheers ;)

He didn't land in it, once it was touch dry, I looked and Bee had gone ;)

I don't do Paint for Customers, I'm too slow at it, but there's no one decent round these parts, so I started doing my own stuff out of necessity, but it's a bit of a challenge in a dirty mechanical workshop ;)

This is the Bumper off the front of my S Class, I'm now getting a good finish straight off the gun ..............

LOL, apart from the last 10 months, the last Paint I did was Cellulose in the 80's :D

I started again out of necessity, I had a mate with a booth, he was gonna do my Car, but he had a big crash in his Rally Car just before it was due to go to them, he went a bit funny in the head and sold up his Garage, and they don't do Paint anymore :( 

So I bought a load of new kit, put an extract fan in, bought materials and sundries, and also bought 10 litres of Chalcedon Blau Base I wanted plenty, so I knew as it's all from the same batch no matter how many times I screwed up I'd have plenty :lol: .............. I'm still on the first 5 litre Can prob about 1 litre left :D

I started with the Boot Lid, did that 3 times until I cracked it, (I am a fussy bastard with my own Cars and the Base was a tiny bit "tiger stripey" being a very pale blue lol), so then once I'd Polished it up I moved on to the 2 right Doors, then 2 left Doors, done a load of plastic bits like Side Skirts, Bumper, Door Mouldings, Mirror Covers etc etc, all that's left now is Roof and both Rear 1/4's.

Roofs not as bad as it sounds as this Car has a nice big Sunroof, so I'm going to have a bash at doing them all together rather than blend up the (large) C Pillars, I don't like blends, can always see 'em :(

I also did a Wing, Door and Side Skirt for Mels C Class along the way, when she chucked it down the ditch in January, I just fitted them bits straight onto the Car, haven't polished it yet, but it looks mint straight off the Gun.

I guess it took me about 3 Panels to get to the stage where it really doesn't need Polishing, the 2 right doors took me half a day to wet flat and polish, too much orange peel, turned out a new Devilbiss and not leaving so much time between Clear Coats cured that :lol:

I'm quite happy now doing my own Paint, just something like a full shoot on that S Class is a big fucker for a project with a ton of colour coded plastic bits to do as well :rolleyes:

I'ts also matching nice edge to edge as I'm doing it a bit at a time, but I'm very careful with direction, distance etc etc.

One day, if I ever get round to building a 3000 sq m workshop I'll build a nice big booth in the corner.

This Car is just dragging on and on because I don't often get a long weekend to get a chunk of it done, but she's lookin' good now, should be back in use in time for the winter :)

I have no idea what a dried system is, but I suspect you are talking Shop Air ...............

I just run it from my well maintained Workshop Compressor, bought a drier / regulator, and use Sealey HVLP's, one for Primers, a better one for Base Coat, and a Devilbiss Finish Line for Clear............

Like I said I'm no expert, and I take a long time  stripping off everything, masking and prepping, and on the first couple panels it took lots of wet flatting and Machine Polishing to get a decent flat mirror shine, but now I can Clear Coat a panel, leave it a day or 2 and then it only needs a quick nib and hand polish ;)

I did not see the point of spending 2.5k for a full shoot in an Inverness Bodyshop, having seen what they did to the back end of my mates V12 Merc, I wouldn't give them the time of day. Including all equipment and materials my Car has cost me around a grand to do, but £400 of that was the Devilbiss ;)

At the end of doing my S55K I will still have all decent Equipment, including Air Fed Honeywell Mask, and various Primers, Plasticisers, Thinners, Gun Wash, loads of Clear, Alloy Wheel Etch Clear, Tapes, Poly Sheet, Tack Rags, Cups, Filters, Stirrers etc etc etc to do any repairs on sales Cars, or on my own fleet ;)

The more I do the better I'm getting, speed and quality wise ;)

Below is the Bumper I did yesterday, I have shot the whole Car now except Roof and Rear 1/4's, which will (hopefully), get done soon when I get another "long weekend" ;)

None of this Car except for the Bootlid and right side Doors has been polished yet, this is straight out of the Gun, and the mix of Fluorecent and LED Tubes in the workshop does it no favours, IRL daylight she is spot on ;)

104215613_sam_18291.jpg

Edited by Dave2302

It's great work! 

Yes, I meant a separate drier as you've described. I rate the Sealey stuff. For the money it's a good option.

The paint shops I've spoken to around here are wanting £3-400 for a door :rolleyes: which I know, is ridiculous. I've got a Draper polisher which has worked wonders so far on some of the panels I've had, but for the time being it's limiting us in what we purchase, as we're yet to find anyone reasonable AND good to touch up panels. It was easier to replace an NSF door on a car we had at the start of the month, rather than pay someone to spray it. Got a fully working door, with perfect door card for £70, so a no brainer really and you couldn't tell it was from a different car (at night). The buyer was shown the old door and was happy! 

/\ /\ /\ like 

Thank you :)

Yeah, that's exactly why I started paintwork again, my mate who was originally gonna do the Car wanted a grand in his oven, but that was with me doing all the prep, stripping all the mouldings, lights, handles windows etc, then, like I said earlier, he sold the garage very quick and is now retired, shame, cos he was very very good.

My work is not gonna win any shows, if you go round it all close up and personal, (like a judge at a nerds Car show, polaroid glasses etc) you will find the odd few tiny remnants of dust nibs, but that's because I'm doing it in a dirty un filtered mechanical workshop with no seals on the doors lol ...................

If I was 20 years younger I'd build that 3000 sq ft Workshop and install a booth, probably take on a few employees again too, (if I could find anyone decent up here lol) ;)

But I'm 57 now and want to just plod along now as I do ;)

The other thing I have to remind myself is that S Class is not a new Car, although it is one awesome weapon that I nicked well cheap and ended up doing a full resto on because I fell in love with it !!

2 years ago it hit 198 mph at Nurburgring, drove it there, drove it back, one of the best 2 weeks of my life, met some AMG guys whilst there, I got a tour of the factory, a treasured AMG Fleece and got pissed with them etc etc ...............

They are very helpful via Skype and Team Viewer when I have a problem with the odd  customers Car, very good contacts to have ............

Hoping to go back next year and break the 200 mph barrier with the Car, it's got a different ECU flash now, plus Intercooler upgrades and a couple of Supercharger mods since last time out, can't say who it was who posted me the bits tho :ph34r: 

Feels a lot stronger now, but extremely lively on our wet bumpy Highland twisties :lol:

The car sounds like a beast! I'm after an RS6 one of these days... That an the odd 2 stroke.

14 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Boys and their toys... I’ve just bought two PK Rippers... if anyone knows...

Isn't that the Brabus of the BMX world ??

14 hours ago, Axiom said:

The car sounds like a beast! I'm after an RS6 one of these days... That an the odd 2 stroke.

RS 6 is a weapon, however it's VAG :D

I love a 2 smoke, all that power in one place mmmmmmmmmmm :lol:

Thing I like about the S Class is they are a wolf in sheeps clothing mine started as a barn find S500 that no one round these parts could fix, they had made it worse to the point of being a non runner ;)

I used it a bit in the beginning, then I bought a rolled S55 Kompressor with 34k miles and swapped all the running gear etc, added full Android including all the Headrest DVD / TV Screens, etc etc.

I've seen original S55K's with 70k miles sell for £18k recently, mine owes me around 5 grand all in, including the price of buying the wrecked W220 Kompressor, but not including the labour ...........

That is my hobby, I love resurrecting and modding Cars ;)

Yeah, I'm a lover of my toys, over my many years I've been Karting, Special Saloons, Formula Ford, Drag Racing, Special Stage Rallying, Water Skiing, Power Boats, Dirt and big road Bikes, Quads, Jet Skis, even did a bit of light Aircraft flying .....................

If it's got an Engine I've likely owned it at some point :lol:

Pure un adulterated Petrol Head Adrenaline Junkie me :rolleyes:

My philosophy is I can't take it with me, and having lost close relatives and good buddies to the dreaded Cancer etc you never know what is around the corner ..................

Between Mel and I we have 7 children and umpteen grand children, they'll likely all be fighting over it all when we finally cark it !!

My advice to anyone is enjoy your life, family, friends and toys while you can :)

Edited by Dave2302

I couldn't agree more! 

I feel like I've set some pretty good foundations for the kids, so now it's making some time to enjoy ourselves. I've not had the time to tinker with my toys (is that rude?) for a while now and I've promised myself that the bike is going to be running this summer (after a seize at Donnington) and various other projects that I've been wanting to do for ages. 

I've been looking at Porsche 997s and RS6s (yes both VAGs and I luv 'em) and possibly an early 70s Alfa Spider or an M5 over the RS6 purely because they're a fair bit cheaper. Utter madness I know...

But wait, 7 children! Wow.

1 hour ago, Axiom said:

But wait, 7 children! Wow.

We both married before, I got 3 Mel's got 4 ;)

1 hour ago, Axiom said:

possibly an early 70s Alfa Spider or an M5 over the RS6

Gotta be the Porker, when I lived in England I had a 4X4 Carrera, lovely old beast !!

Buy the Spider and the Porsche lol, you gotta have a Roadster on your fleet, that's why I sold my stage rally car and bought the R170 in December :grin

2 long family illnesses meant that the Rally Car hadn't been seriously used in anger over a 3 year period, apart from the odd run up the road, plus 2 very local clubby events, and I doubt I'd have the time or inclination to howl down Forest Stages at 120+ any more :rolleyes:

A local guy had been nipping at my ears for years since I built the Puma to sell it him, so late November he got a call, "bring cash come and get it", then I was off down to Englandshire and drove back in the SLK V6 R170 ..................

That wee Car is an absolute hoot, and a lot nicer to drive about than the "Balls Out" Rose Jointed Rally Car, which was no pleasure at all for road driving ;)

The SLK got brought into the 21st Century with some Cosmetics and full Android Multimedia install, with Buttons on Steering Wheel, Paddle Shifts etc etc over the first 3 months and will be getting a V8 M113 Merc Engine this winter :D

Edited by Dave2302

18 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Boys and their toys... I’ve just bought two PK Rippers... if anyone knows...

I know exactly what a PK Ripper is - my best mate at school (and now a MX legend) had one.

I'm not into MX but anyone who is will know his name Rikki Preist

Edited by Mark101

1 hour ago, tradex said:

SweetB) photos needed or never happended;)

Just for you Tradex, here's a couple of photos of me doing some big air in the early 80's on our quarter pipe we built on some derelict land..... My white PK arrived today and the last photo shows the one soon to arrive :D

Edited by Arfur Dealy