Sign in to follow this  
Dave2302

SLK R170 Android Multimedia Install

That's it all finished for now, the Active Sub is now fitted properly, system sounds amazing :D

All that's left to do now is fit a Retro looking C Class Coupe Steering Wheel so I can get Steering Wheel Buttons on this Car which will then control Volume, Track / Station Change and Call Answer / Hang up. 

That will require sourcing a few more parts, like a suitable Airbag Clockspring with more cores and doing some research into the CAN protocols on this particular car, so it'll happen later down the line.

Just finished putting all the Interior back together now, so we can start using the Car :lol:

Helluva lot of work went into re manufacturing a spare Centre Console to get the much larger Android to fit (larger than the single DIN OE Unit), and look like the Car came from the factory with it.

This entailed doing away with the Ashtray etc and cutting and relocating the C/F switch panel lower down ;)

The twin USB Socket in the Cubby Box is Data Transfer and a Charging point.

Phone now auto Bluetooths upon entering and starting the Car, and with a USB Data SIM Dongle it receives good 4G Internet. SD Card holds up to 32GB of my music on it, also has AM / FM / DAB, DVD Player plus NAVI, TPMS and Reverse Camera and WiFi too :) 

pix:- 

98066092_sam_1637.jpg

98066093_sam_1638.jpg

98066095_sam_1640.jpg

98066096_sam_1644.jpg

Edited by Dave2302

very neat

can you get to reset button if needed (gob zipped):)

Edited by boring dave

12 hours ago, boring dave said:

very neat

can you get to reset button if needed (gob zipped):)

LOL, it's an Android, Power off and On, (either Ign Switch or use Power Button top left) and it re boots ;)

11 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

In terms of man hours what would this install cost a punter? 

OK Nick, I'll try and do the Maths on here but I didn't really Document it or log the many hours, and it has been done over around an 8 week period, few hours here and there, then slap seats back in etc to move Car out etc etc.

Also this is the first one I've done in a Roadster, the H/U was designed for Pre Facelift C Class / CLK, so a lot of sodding around and fabrication to get it all to fit as nice as it does.

I'd imagine most Roadsters with tin top are similar in the construction of that Rear Bulkhead and Fuel Tank location, plus the folding tops mechanisms make it harder for any Cables to be run, like the Rev Cam for example, so here's a rough "Retail Price" Guesstimate, there's a rough 40% mark up on the parts, and obviously the labour cost me feck all as it's my own project Car ;) 

Head Unit £400

TPMS, DAB, USB Sockets, Reverse Camera etc £75

Active Sub £200

4 decent Mid Range Component Speakers (separate tweeters) so 8 speakers in total £200

Cables, Connectors etc £30

Hours, hmm, a very rough guess if I had to do another, (remember more hours would have been done on this one of mine as a lot of it was exploring to see exactly what would fit here and there, how to mount stuff nicely etc ................

Centre Console and H/U mods to make it all fit 4 hrs

Reverse Camera install, (strip all trims / carpets out of Boot, partial rear Bumper removal, Seats & Console and Dash Panel removal, Carpet lift inside Car) 3 hrs

Install Console with H/U, add wires where necessary and install Console / H/U  2 hrs

Install Active Sub and USB in Console 1 hr

Install Rear Component Speakers 2 hrs

Door Trims off, slight mods to plastic Speaker Enclosures, Install front Speakers 2 hrs

So I'm guessing around £1750 parts and labour if I had to do one for a bunter.

I know there are ICE companies out there who would do it cheaper, but for a start they wouldn't have done all the mods I did for "Factory Look", at best they'd have used a double DIN H/U and made an MDF Panel for the area between Heater Controls and Switch Panel.

Having seen the job that the P.O paid a firm in Doncaster £300 to install the Pioneer Hands Free phone Single DIN CD Player, well lets just add them to my list of "yee ha, tonto's" :D ..................Half the Dash screws left out, clips broken on pillar trims, wiring trapped here and there, crimper connectors, scotch locks etc etc ;) 

And I'm yet to install the Retro looking C Class Steering Wheel to get Vol + / - , Track / Station Change , and Call Answer / Hang Up control on the Steering Wheel, that will be done sometime next few months when I've worked out exactly how to get it talking over CAN Bus, and exactly which Sub Looms etc I need to buy, modify and install in the Steering Column area :rolleyes:

98120963_sam_1647.jpg

Edited by Dave2302