Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

Is OCD helpful when you sell cars?

I spent all my day going from one garage to another to keep an eye on the prep of 5-6 cars all at once and was mostly disappointed by people's work, especially one of the bodyshops that sometimes turns out great quality and some other times it looks like they had a "paint it while blindfolded" competition. 

They accused me of being too fussy and too picky and noticing very small things. I accused them of being lazy bastards and useless. 

Do you think OCD is useful in what we do or just gets in the way of quicker sales???

I've got really bad obsessive disorders, regular counselling and prescribed medication (which does work to an extent), and work with my partner who is squeaky clean. Overall we're both as productive and profitable as each other but it's about tailoring your skills to what you do. He's an upbeat opportunist so he does the buying. I'm a pessimistic OCD w**ker so I do all the admin, legal, accounts stuff.  

I think as just a simple sales guy it's clearly a negative but as a business owner I like to think it's brought me some benefits/saved me quite a bit of money/mistakes.

Nick, have you ever sent food back in a restaurant? Do you know what the chef does when you do? :D

your stock will currently be getting Doughnut-Ed in a supermarket carpark!

6 minutes ago, Stalker said:

your stock will currently be getting Doughnut-Ed in a supermarket carpark!

Are you kidding?

For years I have been using £40 trackers on cars I leave in garages. Any extra mile they travel they have explaining to do.  

8 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Nick, have you ever sent food back in a restaurant? Do you know what the chef does when you do?

No, never. 

I am not a fussy eater. Cars? That's different. That's all I know.

I have OCD with accounts, paperwork, unit cleanliness et al but admit I am too soft when a third party lets me down.  Painters are awesome but Valeter’s and workshop piss me right off very single day.  My issue is I am too nice and rather than constantly nipping their heels, I just put up with it and then eventually bite their heads off and completely fracture a relationship.  Calm before the storm - when I go, I can’t stop.

I am kind of on the fence on this one, 

myself am bonkers fusy about everything drive the boys mad. 

Two years ago had a very bad accident on one of the building sites scaffolding pole went through my skull and I was out of action for five months and the garage continued without me and turned out similar results year on year and the prep was a local £5.00 wash and wax I was amazed they did the numbers, but somehow did. 

I finally got back to the full swing of things cotton buds around the badges to remove polish residue and there all looking at me as I have three heads. 

So does it really make that much of a difference or an I just talking myself into it.....to this day duno. 

28 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

So in your partnership who is in charge of the prep where the OCD really shows?

We each run one forecourt and overlap a bit. Generally I do the scabby one because the stock needs more looking after and he does the cleaner one with stuff that generally just needs standard ticket and service stuff. Took a while to find our roles but it works well. Clear communication and lack of ego is the key. 

(Secretly I love dealing with the hard work stuff, gives me more satisfaction, probably because of the OCD)

I fully agree with you being fussy btw, the stuff on your site always looks really well prepped and pictured, nothing wrong with being a fussy git when it's your capital involved.

Edited by grant8064
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

I fully agree with you being fussy btw, the stuff on your site always looks really well prepped and pictured,

A customer told me last month: "You are nicer than I expected. On the phone you sounded like a real car perfectionist that would make me feel guilty about the condition of my part exchange. Like people on Pistonheads". (I told him no offence taken)

His was right in a way: his part ex Golf was 4 years old, very low spec, smelled like marijuana, absolutely needed the alloys refurbished and two full valets. Sold with a great margin though.