Sign in to follow this  
Arfur Dealy

Recommended battery charger for under £100

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

Off topic, but how was the Great Go Cart Challenge mate(s)?

It was "ok" no more no less.

Good fun but went on far too long.  Arrived at 6.40pm (20 mins early), aimless talking for an hour or more, no one knew what they were doing, no teams had been established and the real racing didn't start until gone 9pm and lasted 90 mins, plus prize giving plus a 2 hour drive home and despite the promise - no food only soft drinks.

Better organisation and it would have been a lot lot better but like I say good fun but knackering.  

Surprisingly, no formal introduction or chat from anyone from CDM or Close.  I sopke to James from CDM and my rep from Close.  Didn't know anyone there.

Home about 1am (caught up on forum events to wind down) and still in work for 8.30 :)

56 minutes ago, tradex said:

Any battery will charge if volts over 12.9v, but that Oxford says suitable up to 30amp/hr, maybe that's only got a 3 amp/hr max charge rate? 

So I'm guessing that's a good battery tender but would take a long time to charge a normal sized car battery.....anything lumpy, even longer (if it can maintain more than 12.9 v), but its mostly about time to charge.

Think of the volts as pressure and the amps as flow, you can can have high pressure with low flow, you want high flow too. 

Even an older 1.2 Clio runs minimum 40 amp/hr. So a Lidl one (4 amp/hr) will take at least 10 hours if totally flat, more like 14 tbh, but a battery will rarely be that flat. 

I've 4 lidl chargers, just hook up n leave for a day, good to go. 

Proper battery charging is a science in itself, well chemistry:D

PS if your battery is real flat, bring the battery (car) indoors to warm up, it will charge quicker, cold kills ability to charge and discharge. 

B)

Cheers tradex

Just a thought, works well on scooter and mower but the batteries are tiny little bike batteries.

Edited by Mark101

On 20/02/2019 at 8:52 PM, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

Do they still sell them? And if so what are they called?

How long does the CTEK take to charge up and how often does it need a recharge? Cannot seem to find this info anywhere?

If you're just starting up cars in your unit wont it be easier to just have a happy shopper euro car parts battery and some jump leads? And charge the battery once a while?

Looks like they have a new model that charges from flat :

'Pulse charge for flat batteries'

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=20252

quick heads up, I just bought a ctek mxs10 thats meant to be the top of the range thingy, refreshes recharges good for stop start batteries etc etc, had it a couple of days and its brought a couple of batteries i was about to scrap back to life so its paid for itself, advertised at Halfords for £130 but i joined halfords trade club n got it for £97,,,, by the time i claim vat back it will stand me at 80quid so i think its a bargain.

I just bought 2 off LIDL intelligent chargers - I am trying it on a completely done battery for curiosity but I am not back in until Monday to see the results.

On 01/03/2019 at 9:05 AM, Mark101 said:

I just bought 2 off LIDL intelligent chargers - I am trying it on a completely done battery for curiosity but I am not back in until Monday to see the results.

its 999 if anything goes ............................................................