James Baggott

RAC Cars to be bigger than Auto Trader?

Ok I'm confused as to who actually owns Trusted Dealers if you do a whois search for the domain name you only get a limited company number 7342935, so you check that number at companies house and you get trusted dealers ltd and the registered address in Northampton, then you google that address and you get perrys group ltd with the phone number 01604 667300, so you google that number and you get perrys motor sales ltd with the website perrys.co.uk. Google perrys head office and you get the same number and the same address. Confused? So am I.  Can anyone tell me exactly who owns Trusted Dealers or is it just the NFDA in partnership with perrys who are now in partnership with AT. One thing this exercise should teach you is that the internet is not only for looking at naughty pictures.

​but the street address:

Domain name:
        trusteddealers.co.uk

Registrant:
        Trusted Dealers Ltd

Registrant type:
        UK Limited Company, (Company number: 7342935)

Registrant's address:
        12 Cardale Court
        Cardale Park
        Beckwith Head Road
        Harrogate
        HG3 1RY
        United Kingdom

... is the same as JudgeService http://www.judgeservice.com/en-gb/car-dealership/about/contactus/

So based on the evidence motors are partners with judge service who share the same address as trusted dealers who are in partnership with AT and share the same address as perrys. Motors and AT combined in the same venture surely not. So I called judge service and they confirmed that judge service and trusted dealers are the essentially the same company. So I called trusted dealers and asked who their parent company is? was it perrys? I was told that they didn't have a one and they were an independent company, so I asked if that was the case then why was the ltd company registered address the same as perrys head office at which point I could sense the nervousness in her voice and was informed that she was busy and had to go. SO  what's all this about transparency and trust based on the evidence it seems like it maybe just another scheme concocted by the big boys trying to get bigger and squeeze out all of us little boys. 

Edited by Phil H
  • Like 2

Curiouser and curiouser!

It's good to see somebody else having a pop at the greedy, greedy boys and showing them for what they really are. Even I was getting fed up with listening to me...

Maybe some of this might be asked of AT on the record by Colin Channon next week?

Anyway, keep digging, Phil, I've got your back, mate.

NOW AT I know that you'll be reading this post with interest and I think a public thank you on this post is due for me taking the time to call your dealer call centre and press the option for security, wait 15 mins on hold on the phone, then call your sales line and get straight through to someone to inform you about the security vulnerability that I found within your website only to be told that someone will call me back within 24 hours. They have called me back and I have informed your security team about it who have now fixed it. May I say for the record that it's the quickest return phone call that I have ever had from your company

At 10.30 this morning I found a major security issue with AT's website which would of been gold to any hacker as it exposed the code for their website if this had of fallen into a hackers hands they could of brought the website down and cost them a lot of money. But me being the decent human being that I am I decided to tell them about it (even though they treat us like they do and I've no time for them) all that I asked for was a public thanks on this thread, still waiting for it. if I'd of found the same sort of issue with paypal I'd be £40000 richer now, If any of you want me and my web developer to test your website's free of charge for any such threats we will do it for you just message me your website url. Thanks for having my back GG if we all stick together we can make a real big impact. 

• Like 1

You're more than welcome.

PS I'm sorry for putting this out front early on, but if we are gonna be buddies, it is could/would 'have' not 'of'. My pedantic OCD genes won't stand for it.

I'll let the indiscriminate use of apostrophes go for now...

Edited by GreenGiant
  • Like 2

From what I understand, Trusted Dealers is a collaboration between a number of the largest franchised dealer groups in the UK. Perrys is one of those in the group. 

GG sorry for my bad use of grammar in my English just like you have ocd for this I have ocd for doing something to stop these big greedy boys and with very good reason that you will all find out about very soon.

You're more than welcome.

PS I'm sorry for putting this out front early on, but if we are gonna be buddies, it is could/would 'have' not 'of'. My pedantic OCD genes won't stand for it.

I'll let the indiscriminate use of apostrophes go for now...

​Sorry GG but as a fellow pedant I just needed to get this off my chest. I really think that it should be 'p.s.' as the full stops are used to denote the omitted letters in an abbreviation; in this instance 'post script'.

Ahem

PS or P.S. are both acceptable (see below under 'Usage').

p.s., however, is the accepted abbreviation for either particle size or pull switch, neither of which, I am sure you would agree, are particularly relevant in this instance.

But I thank you all the same.

GG

PS: I am now wondering whether pi$$ poor grammar should be the subject of this week's rant?

Dictionary Definition

postscript

Noun

1 a note appended to a letter after the signature [syn: PS]
2 textual matter that is added onto a publication; usually at the end [syn: addendum, supplement]

Etymology

post- + script

Noun

1. An addendum to a letter, added after the author’s signature.

Usage notes

In a letter, to indicate the beginning of a postscript one often uses the abbreviation PS followed by a colon.

Translations

addendum to a letter

Extensive Definition

A postscript (from post scriptum, a Latin expression meaning "after writing" and abbreviated P.S.) is a sentence, paragraph, or occasionally many paragraphs added, often hastily and incidentally, after the signature of a letter or (sometimes) the main body of an essay or book. In a book or essay, a more carefully-composed addition (e.g., for a second edition) is called an afterword. An afterword, not usually called a postscript, is written in response to critical remarks on the first edition. The word has, poetically, been used to refer to any sort of addendum to some main work, even if not attached to a main work, as in Søren Kierkegaard's book titled Concluding Unscientific Postscript.

Usage

The Oxford English Dictionary lists PS both with and without full stops (PS/P.S.). A "P.S.S.", meaning a "Post-subscript", or "P.P.S.", meaning "Post-postscript" is sometimes used to allow the letter writer to add even more thoughts after the first postscript. To continue, a third postscript would be a P.P.P.S. and so on, although these additions are rarely used in practice and would probably be deemed as poor style.

In popular culture

References

postscript in Bengali: পোস্টস্ক্রিপ্ট
postscript in Breton: Post-scriptum
postscript in Catalan: Postdata
postscript in Czech: Postskriptum
postscript in German: Postskriptum
postscript in Spanish: Postdata (lenguaje)
postscript in French: Post-scriptum
postscript in Italian: Post scriptum
postscript in Hebrew: נ"ב
postscript in Dutch: Post scriptum
postscript in Japanese: 追伸
postscript in Norwegian: Postskriptum
postscript in Polish: Post scriptum
postscript in Portuguese: Post-Scriptum
postscript in Russian: Постскриптум
postscript in Simple English: Postscript
postscript in Finnish: Jälkikirjoitus
postscript in Swedish: Post scriptum
  • Like 1

Ok so it's mainly a big boys club of franchised dealers, so I have 2 questions to ask firstly do you remember when AT first launched dealer edit, the deal was that if you were a franchised dealer it cost £1 per car per week to advertise so now that a partnership has been formed will we see a return to these advertising deals, and secondly to my Buddy GG as You're a franchised dealer have you had an invite to join or are you a little bit outspoken for them?

• Like 1

A little bit outspoken?

Moi?

Groucho Marx's quote about joining a club applies here, I think.

• Like 1

​I think their club could be called something like the secret society

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback and thoughts on this topic. 

I can see there are a couple of comments around our figures and visits per month. These numbers are incorrect so I just thought it may help if I clarify this and share our latest figures with you.

In May we received 49.4 million cross platform visits.

Over 17 visits and 75 searches occur on Auto Trader platforms every second with nearly two thirds of site visits (65%) now conducted using mobile devices (including tablets), and over 30% now through Auto Trader’s market-leading apps. Inspections of individual vehicle advertisements expressed as full page advert views (FPAVs) increased by 7% to 2.7 billion in the year. Full page advert views are click-throughs from initial search result pages and are the consumer activity measure most correlated to vehicle transactions between consumers and retailers. This means that more than 85 vehicles are being virtually inspected by potential buyers every second of every day on the Auto Trader marketplace. 

For April 2015, we generated 650 million  page views. 5.6 million unique visitors that came back 7 times in the month clocking up 40 million visits with average views per visitor at 16 (this is all verified by comScore who also measure all other traffic to every automotive classified web site). We also estimate that the total size of the UK dealer universe is around 20,000, of which last year 13,452 dealers were customers of Auto Trader.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks,

Bethany
Auto Trader

Bethany thanks for joining in our debate, I apologize if my figures are incorrect but the only free reference to your figures I could get came from www.alexa.com/siteinfo/autotrader.co.uk may i say the figures that you've provided are pretty impressive, when you say 85 vehicles per second are being virtually inspected by potential buyers do you have any way of taking into consideration dealers checking their own adverts and competitors pricing in these figures. (quite easy to do just remove any matching ip address's of your dealer edit/ autotrademail customers that also carry out searches using the same ip address). As you say Vehicles per second I take it that these include cars, vans, bikes, caravans, boats, plant etc. What would really help us though would be a breakdown by vehicle type if you could, Many thanks

PS you've managed to come on here to correct your figures but still not said the thank you for me alerting your company about the security risk that I found on your website the other day that exposed your websites code, If you would like to ask Mark W in your security department he'll confirm receipt of the email along with the screenshot of the error message that I sent him. 

Hi Phil,

Yes, we appreciate dealers continuously check their adverts so this is only classed as one visit from their IP address.

Mark is actually out of the office, I've e-mailed his team for you so apologies if you've had no response or  a thank you as such, I can only presume this is why. I’d like to thank you on behalf of our security team as we are always grateful to have our customers report issues or suggest improvements for the site. The team have had a look at this and although this was a technical error, it wasn’t deemed as a security risk. Please do continue to flag anything like this in future though so that we can investigate straight away.

Also thank you for letting me know about the broken terms and conditions link for the money back guarantee offer, I’ve now had the team fix this and it sounds like your now able to access the page.

Again I hope this information helps.

Thanks

Bethany

Bethany your thank you is appreciated, if we all work together in the motor trade it can make all of our lives a lot easier and more profitable for all, not just the chosen few. 

Bethany - can I just say how nice it is to see someone from Auto Trader responding to dealers in this forum. I for one thank you for taking the time to do it. 

• Like 2

I do so hope RAC or Motors outpace AT!!  

Since Bethany from Auotrader appears to responds here more than on her own company forum - I will post here instead?!!

Autotrader - do you treat all your paying customers with such contempt....  or have I been specially chosen for the privilege?

Post being ignored on AT forum as follows:-

Chris Robinson – can I just check my understanding?

I used to get deltapoint valuation tool included in my package. Are you telling me that from 1st July this will no longer be included?

Are you telling me that you need to lock me into Autotrade-mail to access trade valuations from here forward?

If so – either way you are forcing a cost on me over and above my package price – either Autotrade-mail or Retail Checker – to be in the same position as I was before?

If that is what you are telling me, then my account manager John Higgins has told me an untruth, as he said deltapoint would be available as the alternative, and so did Sarah Shaw, in fact I think I have it in writing from John somewhere – will check past e-mails.

If you are removing this from my package (without my agreement) then what decrease in my package costs are you proposing for this reduction in service you are giving me? 

I take it that it will be the same amount it would cost me if I were to take this new Retail Checker product of yours?

I really wouldn’t mind but your retail checker is just a load of old tosh….. as I posted following my experience this morning….

BEARING IN MIND THAT I DO NOT WANT TO BE LEFT BEHIND & before I made a final decision, I decided to give it a proper go this morning – benefit of the doubt etc etc & So my trial took place on a bog standard MINI One – not to tricky a test….
Retail checker says……
AX63LBU 2013 (63)
15,000 miles, 1 owner
Retail guide: £10,669 – would rank it 3 out of 8 with a level of desirability at 3.5 stars!!
Part-ex guide: £7,690

This MINI One changed hands this morning in a TRADE Auction at £9,055.00 so that makes the PX figure £1,360.00 less than the actual live value today of a bog standard MINI One.

So Chris Robinson, perhaps you can see my point – you intend me to accept that I will get less for my money, yet you want me to pay handsomely for rubbish valuations on Retail checker …. I would dearly love to hear your explanation as to how any of this is helping me – your paying customer….

Why do I feel like I am being shafted by AT – YET AGAIN

• Like 4

Hi Tracey,

We're currently looking at this for you and I've replied to your recent post to advise that we'll be giving you a call today. Sorry it's taken slightly longer than normal, we look to get to the bottom of all queries as fast as we can but sometimes this includes other teams or even third party companies so can take slightly longer however if your query requires urgent attention please contact your Account Manager John as he'll be able to help pretty much straight away.

Thanks

Bethany

Ha Ha Bethany - I sent an e-mail to my account manager John, I knew a response was unlikely so I posted in the forum too.  I copied his boss in on the e-mail and she did respond saying she would come back to me - but alas so far she has failed to do so!

As for taking longer than usual Bethany, I have lowered my expectation dramatically & now consider myself fortunate to even get a response from Autotrader 

Bethany - do you think Chris Robinson may respond in writing anytime soon?   Worth asking??