Apollo13

Newbie exports!

Hello everyone,

It is great to be back in 'forumland' after four years, I really enjoy the interaction in these conversation/advice torrents.

I have worked at  car parts warehouses, in dealerships and aftermarket, and  I am about to have my own LTD.

I will, of course, download The Guide, it seems to be a useful tool. And I am already reading some threads, will go on for sure.

But, since I am new to the country and the trade profession, I will need some guidance, please. 

Is anyone here selling cars to individuals in other countries? This will be my main thing and I would welcome any help.

Don't want to be too much in my first post, thank you in advance and ,again, great to be here! 

Edited by Apollo13

15 minutes ago, MattR said:

why would that be your 'main thing'?

This is my plan, to buy some cars and sell them for profit in another country. Why wouldn't it be?

I will not be listing my cars in the UK, just sell them elsewhere. Should someone want my cars in the UK, sure, why not, but it will not be the purpose of my business.

16 minutes ago, Apollo13 said:

This is my plan, to buy some cars and sell them for profit in another country. Why wouldn't it be?

I will not be listing my cars in the UK, just sell them elsewhere. Should someone want my cars in the UK, sure, why not, but it will not be the purpose of my business.

what are you exporting in the hidden corners of the car then?

krugerands????????????

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, boring dave said:

what are you exporting in the hidden corners of the car then?

krugerands????????????

:lol:, no!

I will be exporting legal cars, and selling them, mainly to Cyprus. 

Are any of you doing this?

Does anyone know of a trade insurance in Birmingham, by the way? I can't seem to find my way through the sites, because I haven't formed my LTD, yet.

2 minutes ago, DPF said:

What cars you intending to export to Cyprus ?

After 2005, Japanese, not over 2lt, specific editions of cars that do well there.

That is, to begin with. 

Have sold a few to Cyprus over the years, and as you are probably aware there are a few companies / sole traders who are already into this market, typically Cypriots who already live in the UK, there are quite a few shipping lines that take the cars some RORO others in containers.... You'll need to be 100% on top of the import regulations, as getting it wrong can give you a major problem. .....Once sold a car that had originally been first registered in Japan then came the UK, had a UK V5 - no problem............unfortunately the buyer wasn't aware until the car arrived in Cyprus that as its first registration was outside the UK import tax was huge.... and he ended up sending it back to the UK, effectively re-importing it (as it  was down as being exported) finally selling it on about 12 months later - and down about 3 grand.......      

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Willoughby said:

Have sold a few to Cyprus over the years, and as you are probably aware there are a few companies / sole traders who are already into this market, typically Cypriots who already live in the UK, there are quite a few shipping lines that take the cars some RORO others in containers.... You'll need to be 100% on top of the import regulations, as getting it wrong can give you a major problem. .....Once sold a car that had originally been first registered in Japan then came the UK, had a UK V5 - no problem............unfortunately the buyer wasn't aware until the car arrived in Cyprus that as its first registration was outside the UK import tax was huge.... and he ended up sending it back to the UK, effectively re-importing it (as it  was down as being exported) finally selling it on about 12 months later - and down about 3 grand.......      

Thank you for the heads up, will be extra cautious with that. Have read and will be re-reading all the regulations both UK and Cyprus.

Did you or did he attempt to get it through customs? 

Would you mind if we talked over the procedure some more? 

Why would you pay UK running costs for a UK based business and limit yourself to the small market that is Cyprus. 

The UK has a huge population in a reasonably small area which makes a nationwide business very viable and easy to run. 

Why throw all that opportunity away and focus on Cypus?? 

• Like 2

I hope you have a good man in Cyprus looking out for you!

We've done a few export sales after being initially very very sceptical. Not proper exports, we've sold to a company who then export and resell to their buyer in Cyprus, Caribbean etc. There's a market there for certain so I can't knock it but the guys operating in this field already really know their stuff; organised, efficient, a real pleasure to deal with over a regular punter, so I hope you're going into it knowing that some of the bases are covered already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

Why would you pay UK running costs for a UK based business and limit yourself to the small market that is Cyprus. 

The UK has a huge population in a reasonably small area which makes a nationwide business very viable and easy to run. 

Why throw all that opportunity away and focus on Cypus?? 

1 hour ago, grant8064 said:

I hope you have a good man in Cyprus looking out for you!

We've done a few export sales after being initially very very sceptical. Not proper exports, we've sold to a company who then export and resell to their buyer in Cyprus, Caribbean etc. There's a market there for certain so I can't knock it but the guys operating in this field already really know their stuff; organised, efficient, a real pleasure to deal with over a regular punter, so I hope you're going into it knowing that some of the bases are covered already.

I have lived there for three years, and I think I can make it work. I have some friends and acquaintances in Cyprus, although I don't know what you think by 'looking out', grant8064.

Of course I will not be reinventing the wheel, but I am willing to work hard to make some money doing something I like!

Nick M.K., I will start my business with Cyprus, as I have some knowledge of their market, but, hopefully, will not stop there! 

tradex, who is  Mr Lucas? Is he a member? I don't know anyone by that name, but if he has worked with Cyprus, surely I would like to meet him.

The cars we have sold for export to Cyprus or anywhere else are always on the basis that the invoiced buyer pays in sterling and once paid its down to them to arrange onward shipping, import and taxes etc. We sometimes provide customers with a few pointers of help if they need it but from experience if you're not careful you become the point of contact for the complete thing (for which you're not being paid).......like car hasn't been loaded at docks (even when it was there on time) so will be another month before it can go, there's damage at the other end or somethings gone missing, ship was re-routed due to bad weather so it will be 3 weeks late.............Depends how committed you are, easiest route would be to buy UK cars, get them imported and then sell them once they're tax paid and ready to go - once had a customer who as ever wanted to buy as cheap as possible........bought and paid and arranged his shipping on a 7 years old car without seeing it - he'd had loads of pictures, he then moaned when it arrived that the paintwork wasn't as good as he expected and that did I know it had 3 different makes of tyre on.......so you may well be able to made a go of it with the right contacts and you'll never know unless you try....

• Like 1