Sign in to follow this  
GreenGiant

Ranty Friday 3 April

So. I sat down to watch the Leaders' Debate last night.

OMG.

I gave it 20 minutes. What was the point of that? A few smug, shouty blokes having a pissing contest and some well-intentioned and intelligent women acting like they'd just been 'unfriended' on FaceSpace by someone from the WI.

Loads of words spoken. Nothing actually said.

The problem that they seem unable to grasp is two-fold:

• A very large proportion of the electorate will vote through their wallets - they (and I may include me in that) do not care who's in charge, as long as they become better off as a result. So no amount of posturing and talking over opponents and Soundbite Rhetoric will make any difference; if a vote for them means higher taxes, they ain't getting it.
  • It does make a great deal of difference what you look like as a potential World Leader. This is about credibility. If (and it is a big If, but not beyond possibility) some cataclismic event should fall upon us from above, (Or below. Or the Near East, Far East or Middle East. Bacterial, chemical or meteorological. Natural or man-made. Whatever.) I want to know that the individual standing out front, protecting me and all that is mine from whatever is coming, can do the job. And strike fear into the enemy, whoever or whatever that may be.

I want the next leader of this country to be someone I can depend on in a crisis.

Not someone who reminds me of Mr Bean, Tim Nice-But-Dim or someone from the cast of Acorn Antiques.

So, my rant this week is aimed at the Undecided Voters.

Pick a Leader, not a policy. Yes the NHS and the economy and education are important. Always have been. And always will be. No Government will do too much to deliberately mess up what is already in place and working (just); they woudn't risk it. So those things will be fine. You might want to consider how some of those things went a bit wonky and who was in charge when they did. But in the long term, the Big Picture stuff is what's important.

We are the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It says so on my passport.

That means something. Something worth preserving and protecting. And I want somebody in charge who looks like they know that too and will do whatever it takes to keep it that way. And I don't want to pay extra for it.

So, have another look at the candidates and see who fits the bill...

...nope, me neither. We're all doomed.

Maybe Mr Bean is the answer.

If you look at all the countries that strike fear into you they normally have a nutjob leading them. Mr Bean could fit that role !!!