Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Storage quotes

Spending the entire day going round farms and caravan places in the area trying to find a decent place to store the cars. Most aren't interested or are a bit too official (container storage @£120pm).

Came across one place that's offering me indoor, secure storage at £10 per car per week with decent access times (nothing past 9pm)

Is that a reasonable price? Or am I aiming way to high? 

I thought that sounded great initially. Then I thought through what I pay more my pitch and lock ups which holds up to 22 and I pay £1000 per month, which isnt much more than your total would be. but if you only want to store 10, I would say its good value.

• Like 1

Depends where you are. £10 a day in central London is very reasonable. £10 a day 50 miles outside Carlisle? Not so reasonable. 

• Like 1

Depends how many you've got in stock but it doesn't sound cheap if you've more than a couple. Makes our pitch sound reasonable...don't tell the landlord!

• Like 1

Should be between 6-10 in stock, problem around my area is it seems to be £1500+ PCM for anything close to being able to fit that amount of cars in or outside with parking, plus bills on top.

And I keep getting turned down because they don't allow the motor trade or there's allready a motor trader in their Park. Guessing it's just the postcode keeping the prices up on everything (you wouldn't believe the housing rents around here)

2 hours ago, EPV said:

Depends where you are. £10 a day in central London is very reasonable. £10 a day 50 miles outside Carlisle? Not so reasonable. 

10 miles North of Peterborough, about mid range then.

Edited by Mikey360

I pay £150 per month for 3 cars storage outside secure site they let me have access 24/7 with a key I think its pricey but i needed somewhere and they have said If I need more space I can have it. Just seeing how it goes for now trying to keep my overheads low.

I say go for it give it 3 months if its not working then look for somewhere else.

I would be trying your local cricket,tennis,golf and rugby clubs which have secure parking,a lot of them are run on a shoestring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey360 said:

Spending the entire day going round farms and caravan places in the area trying to find a decent place to store the cars. Most aren't interested or are a bit too official (container storage @£120pm).

Came across one place that's offering me indoor, secure storage at £10 per car per week with decent access times (nothing past 9pm)

Is that a reasonable price? Or am I aiming way to high? 

£10 per car per week, if thats correct then i think this is very reasonable.

If you have 6 cars in stock then £60 a week, secure and dry, no need for taxing cars and worrying where there parked etc.

Will they allow you to trade at the place ? ie customer meets you there to collect ? if so even more of a bargain for a start up..

5 minutes ago, Max Branning said:

£10 per car per week, if thats correct then i think this is very reasonable.

If you have 6 cars in stock then £60 a week, secure and dry, no need for taxing cars and worrying where there parked etc.

Will they allow you to trade at the place ? ie customer meets you there to collect ? if so even more of a bargain for a start up..

No it would purely be for storage (hopefully cleaning and photos too), but it's right on the edge of a very picturesque town so plenty of places to sell by the roadside 

15 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I would be trying your local cricket,tennis,golf and rugby clubs which have secure parking,a lot of them are run on a shoestring.

Tried the local football and rugby clubs but they are rammed when a match is on (car parks full and overflowing onto the roads) haven't tried the cricket or tennis clubs though, good shout!

I would avoid selling roadside, can you not trade from home ? 

Storage costs seem fair to me, assuming there is no tie in? 1 year contract or anything stupid ? if its easy in/out then i say all good.

41 minutes ago, Max Branning said:

I would avoid selling roadside, can you not trade from home ? 

Storage costs seem fair to me, assuming there is no tie in? 1 year contract or anything stupid ? if its easy in/out then i say all good.

Yes could sell from home although the boss lady indoors wouldn't be too happy if someone came knocking because something went wrong! 

Does it give off a terrible impression selling from the roadside or is it just a bad idea in general?

It is a 12 month contract type thing, thats the only big downside

Edited by Mikey360

1 minute ago, Mikey360 said:

Yes could sell from home although the boss lady indoors wouldn't be too happy if someone came knocking because something went wrong! 

Selling from the roadside requires a street-trading license from your council. 

Can you guess how easy it is to get one for selling cars?

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Excellent idea. Spent a couple of hours looking for commercial property to lease and didn't even think of this. What I need is a bloody big car park to rent a bit off someone...

40 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Selling from the roadside requires a street-trading license from your council. 

Can you guess how easy it is to get one for selling cars?

40 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

1 hour ago, Max Branning said:

Hahaha I dread to think :D, only problem with trading for home is that I'm in rented property and have no idea how the landlord would react to it if the council got wind of a business being run from here and had to go through all that

Just now, Mikey360 said:

Hahaha I dread to think :D, only problem with trading for home is that I'm in rented property and have no idea how the landlord would react to it if the council got wind of a business being run from here and had to go through all that

You're in an identical situation to me mate. Deals are done either in my front room or when occupied by the family, my local pub. 

It hasn't stopped me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EPV said:

Excellent idea. Spent a couple of hours looking for commercial property to lease and didn't even think of this. What I need is a bloody big car park to rent a bit off someone...

The problem is none of these places want their car parks turned into a car dealers forecourt even if they do require extra funds i doubt any of them would go for it.

I wonder if anyone just uses car parks ? something where you can buy a 24hr ticket or maybe a yearly ticket per space ? if its just somewhere to park this is an option but the only problem is with your insurance, might be a job getting cover while parked up...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Max Branning said:

The problem is none of these places want their car parks turned into a car dealers forecourt even if they do require extra funds i doubt any of them would go for it.

I wonder if anyone just uses car parks ? something where you can buy a 24hr ticket or maybe a yearly ticket per space ? if its just somewhere to park this is an option but the only problem is with your insurance, might be a job getting cover while parked up...

Weirdly enough my Brother used to be a property manager in London and was regularly approached by dealers asking if they could rent spaces from him at his larger sites with underground parking. I don't think he ever had the space as his occupancy rate was near perfect.

Think the only time he rent a space out (that wasn't a Tennant) was for a foreign diplomat with a huge blacked out top spec Mercedes with the mounts on the front wings for the flags!

Edited by Mikey360

3 hours ago, Mikey360 said:

Should be between 6-10 in stock, problem around my area is it seems to be £1500+ PCM for anything close to being able to fit that amount of cars in or outside with parking, plus bills on top.

And I keep getting turned down because they don't allow the motor trade or there's allready a motor trader in their Park. Guessing it's just the postcode keeping the prices up on everything (you wouldn't believe the housing rents around here)

10 miles North of Peterborough, about mid range then.

I didn't read the OP properly and thought it was £10 per car PER DAY! £10 per week is pretty good IMO.

I don't know the area well but the other halfs parents are from Stamford. There was a nice gravelled site up that way on Rightmove commercial recently which didn't sell, I don't have the details but you might find it with a bit of googling. I nearly fell over at the asking price...three years rent at my place would have bought the freehold, amazing how cheap life is north of London.

• Like 1