Sign in to follow this  
James Glen Cars

Nationwide Delivery

I see this on a lot of adverts. Its something we have tried with success, but only on a car that we are struggling with, and only if the car is very very clean AND only if the customer seems 100% okay. (last one is most important!)

From my understanding of the distance selling act, the law is stacked completely in the buyers favour. This is to the point that, if the customer does not want the car FOR ANY REASON AT ALL, the car can simply be rejected, leaving the dealer to collect and refund all costs which includes delivery and collection charges. 

So, who does it on a regular basis? Are there things that can be put in place to protect you against crazy customers? Or is it just a numbers game - it will sell you more cars, yes thats for sure, but just accept the grief that will no doubt go along with it? 

I'd be really interested in hearing experience (good & bad) from someone who advertises the NATIONWIDE DELIVERY service. 

Cheers, 
Stevie

No,i learn't 20 years ago to never do this as you are at the mercy of the customer and they dont get better they get worse,with me though it was and is always they say if you bring it i will buy it,no they don't they just cant be bothered coming to see you but still want it at their price if you go to the trouble of accommodating them, might work on a 3 year sweety,anything else and you is a mug if you go there in my opinion

Customer buys a car off you and pays buy debit card.

Asks you to deliver the car. Money has all cleared.

Just drop the car off and put the keys through the letter box.

90 days later the customer phones you and says he wants his money back.

If your T&C's don't cater for long distance selling you are stuffed!

We don't even take payment over the phone for parts.

Customer wants a part ordered he has to come in and see us!

• Like 2

Be very careful guys - we have despite my earlier words above, sold one down south, guy sent a driver to collect, found it was stolen credit card details 2 weeks after collection. It's a mess so if you do sell delivered cars be careful with payment we've been burnt!!!!!

I personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. My understanding is that distance selling regulations give the customer a cooling off period of 7 days from delivery of the vehicle in which time they can return the car for a full refund including delivery costs for any reason. This leaves the system wide open to abuse to some of our, shall we say 'complicated', customers.

I'd be happy to offer customers nationwide delivery at a cost but only providing they have physically come and seen the car first, this negates distance selling regulations and should lead to an easier ride but still wont protect from the card scammers williamblackshaw mentions above.