Sign in to follow this  
LINGsCARS

RE: MG starts search for 30 new dealers

Oh, MG is one of the fastest growing "marks" [sic]??? Well, starting from 100 cars, to sell 200 is a 100% increase. Talk in absolute numbers and it's hopeless. Anyone can quote daft percentages...

a) you mean "marques"

b ) It has hopeless sales numbers. In February, it's dealers sold less than 2 new cars each. Including self-reg MG cars. I sold more new cars on my own in Feb, than EVERY MG dealer in the UK, combined.

c) Cars are hopeless.

d) Management is inept and mainly ex-failed MG Rover, LDV and similar operatives. Marketing is myopic nonsense.

e) Dealers are crap, with capital K.

f) MG Motor financials in the UK are crap.

g) The truth is, the UK operation is a front so MG can claim "Britishness" in China, where they actually sell some cars.

I'm Chinese, so I understand what they are doing to sell cars in China. But journalists...? sheesh. Try looking harder.

Who writes these reports...? Guess you have an MG demo and need some inches?

Ling
LINGsCARS

• Like 1

Possibly a little unfair on some points I think, but not all...

MG is a 100% retail brand, so selling nothing in Feb isn't a big surprise.  Dealers won't be registering demos in Feb either, unless they're pre-registering stuff to hit a target which I doubt the MG guys are doing.

The cars aren't that bad.  Sure, I wouldn't spend my own cash on an MG6, but the MG3 is OK and at the price compares well with the competition from Suzuki, Vauxhall, Kia etc.

I agree though, they need a new PR agency very badly indeed (James, you should put in an opportunistic pitch for this one!) and of course the main point of them being in the UK is to boost Chinese sales but that doesn't mean that they're not making a small effort to be successful here.

I'm sure Hyundai and Kia were at least this bad when they first launched in the UK so there's hope yet...

Hands up... 'twas me who posted the story online.

In my defence, it was taken from a statement sent to us, so the spelling of 'mark' wasn't REALLY my mistake...

When you see the CD polybag plop through your letterbox next week, you'll see why the mistake got through - we've been REALLY busy lately, and working so hard we've even had to shorten our lunch breaks to two hours, cut down on the number of free lunches, and driving only three of four posh cars each week....

Could say this press release was a good way of making my marque on the forum.... or you could say I get no marques out of ten for effort.... but I wouldn't be sad enough to do that...

No apology for posting the story, though. MG are a proper manufacturer. If they're planning on producing good cars and opening more dealerships, and creating all the jobs that go with it, all power to their elbow. There's room for everyone in our industry.

Promise I'll take more care on the website spelling in future. Must fly - afternoon cocktails are waiting.... :-)

love this line,permission to use it please ling :lol: 

Marketing is myopic nonsense.