Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

Auction buying mistakes that you made good money from...

I've bought my fair share of rubbish at auctions over the years but a couple of times I thought I've made real big mistakes just to be rewarded by a quick sale for much more than I thought someone might pay. 

A few months ago I bought a petrol Jag XF 3.0 in a sale full of 3.0 Diesels and didn't realise it was petrol until I HPI'd it the next day. £500+ road tax! I thought I'll have it for months but there were very few on the market and it sold fast for strong money and a lot of calls kept coming in after that. 

I am sure you've made a few quid on something you thought you might have to give away...

I am almost exclusively German, But must have had brain fade when i bid on a Citroen C5 Exclusive 300 miles away from me, In white 2011 and 118k,  4 door it was too, Had it less than 5 weeks and made £1400 from it, Was impulse purchase (very unlike my methodical way of using online auctions) just looked remarkable value

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

Was impulse purchase (very unlike my methodical way of using online auctions) just looked remarkable value

This how I buy 80% of my stock (just not online) and it rarely fails me. 

1 minute ago, Nick M.K. said:

This how I buy 80% of my stock (just not online) and it rarely fails me. 

And me, unless I am being specifically retained to source a particular type of vehicle.

If it looks value, needs minimal recon and I can see 4 figures across it, I'm on it - especially if a little odd ball.

Had a PX in recently that was a Chevrolet Cruze 1.6 11 plate with 44k and gave £1400 for it.................again not something i would EVER purchased, Amazed  less than 4 weeks and it was gone, Quirky Odd ball both of them but that was another 4 figure  profit

A few that come to mind

Lexus GS for some reason thought it was diesel, i know i know, turned out to be petrol and £500 tax. Very low mileage, full Lexus history but rubbish bodywork. £800 spent on bodywork and it sold it one day and left £1800 profit.

Bidded a grand on the wrong car, it was a Fiat Bravo! Never bought one before, sold in one week and made £800. 

Left a proxy bid on the wrong car, Kia Ceed automatic estate, made £900 on that one. 

Really weird how we struggle to make good profits on the ones we want but the mistakes end up leaving more. 

2 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I've bought my fair share of rubbish at auctions over the years but a couple of times I thought I've made real big mistakes just to be rewarded by a quick sale for much more than I thought someone might pay. 

A few months ago I bought a petrol Jag XF 3.0 in a sale full of 3.0 Diesels and didn't realise it was petrol until I HPI'd it the next day. £500+ road tax! I thought I'll have it for months but there were very few on the market and it sold fast for strong money and a lot of calls kept coming in after that. 

I am sure you've made a few quid on something you thought you might have to give away...

Did an almost identical thing with an E350 coupe. Did not realise it was a petrol until it was delivered. Again very few for sale with the V6 petrol lump in and sold within 48 hours. Result.

other side of the coin ,i bought a vectra and got it back, went through it found it needed a clutch discs pads all round part exhaust system and various body faults

i cut my losses and weighed it in but kept the battery

oh and i took the cat off as they were worth plenty at the time

other big loss was a reno auto

never bought another reno auto since which is a shame but having had plenty of dodgy ones in renault 5's and clios i saw the light