Sign in to follow this  
steve01

overseas registered vehicles

Hi all

I've been offered a Swiss registered polo and I'm unsure of the correct procedure for overseas registered cars

I have bought and sold cars overseas before mainly from Germany and sold into eastern Europe Using German export plates and had no issues.

This is different for me as will be buying an overseas registered vehicle in the UK then selling on to a foreign national for them to export, now I'm not worried about import procedures and taxes i the destination country as that will be the buyers concern. HPI and other checks can not be performed as not UK registered but I will try and check using VIN number.

I Will inform seller to tell the Swiss DVLA equivalent that car is sold and exported so that he is covered legally on that side, is there anything else i need to be aware of.

I'm hoping its a case of "thanks for the car here's some cash and an invoice",then "thanks for the cash here's a receipt and a car now bugger off". Lifes never that easy, is it?

Alternatively anybody who knows what they're doing want to buy a Polo with the steering wheel on the wrong side ?

Thanks in advance 

Steve

Is'nt that only for newish cars ?

This has been in Switzerland for more than 12 months and owned by present keeper for more than 6 months so VAT is'nt an issue according to google,also will be sold for export so new owner can worry about paperwork and registration when it gets to wherever its going 

Why not register it here on gb plates then offer it for sale on ebay so expats in france/spain might pay well for it to take with them

19 minutes ago, boring dave said:

Why not register it here on gb plates then offer it for sale on ebay so expats in france/spain might pay well for it to take with them

Forget the few expats who don't already own a LHD vehicle. Register it here as Dave says, then sell it on AT to Eastern Europeans going home because of Brexit. The demand will be (already is) huge, price too. 

Ah ok - I don’t think there is a correct procedure as such if the cars not registered here. Really you’ll just need the Swiss reg doc. Might be useful to have the CoC too so it can be easily registered in any country. 

Certificate of Conformity. Available from the manufacturer - normally easier in the country of origin. 

Edited by mike101

Thanks for all of the help but think this is a non starter now

I think its worth 8500 euro retail and the guy wants £9k 

Unless anybody thinks different

2012 VW Polo Blue Motion 11000 KM excellent condition

2 hours ago, steve01 said:

Thanks for all of the help but think this is a non starter now

I think its worth 8500 euro retail and the guy wants £9k 

Unless anybody thinks different

2012 VW Polo Blue Motion 11000 KM excellent condition

if its a non starter i cant imagine anyone would want the thing

1 hour ago, boring dave said:

if its a non starter

I think he meant the deal is a non starter rather than the 6700 mile car. Is it in the UK? I'd be very interested but not at that money. 

cars in Switzerland are expensive compared to the rest of Europe 

i will let him know that the chances of getting Swiss retail prices any where else in Europe are non existent, see if I can manage his expectations a little 

It is in the uk, chelmsford

6 hours ago, steve01 said:

cars in Switzerland are expensive compared to the rest of Europe 

i will let him know that the chances of getting Swiss retail prices any where else in Europe are non existent, see if I can manage his expectations a little 

It is in the uk, chelmsford

well the longer its in sunny chelmsford the price will go down

i would have thought 4 grand tops because i cant imagine its wanted in the east as nick says but much more likely southern spain