Philip Nothard

August Market

Synergy. Pushing the business forward /moving forward....vis-à-vis ...aghhhhh!

• Like 1

On 31/08/2018 at 5:25 PM, trade vet said:

I am so pleased Mr Northard has surfaced.The guys on here are the front line,straight talking,trade entrepreneurs who mostly make up Manheim customers ( I have to declare I am mainly a BCA Guy).I think you should come on here more often and join in the banter.You could take notice of us more than these franchised dealership suits many of whom could not value a 12 year old Micra.I have predicted that diesel stuff will rise.Not very PC but what are your thoughts and of course the continued failure of CAP to follow the market which impacts retailers doing finance deals.Low CAP values must be great for those auction groups guaranteeing vendors 97% of CAP Clean.You buy stuff now and it could be a grand over CAP Clean and you have bought a cheap car.What is going on,we would like to hear your thoughts......So thank you again.

That is always an interesting debate but essentially an auctions job is to maximise the return of the vehicle but I know what you mean - as its a balance between reflecting the market and predicting it.  The petrol and diesel are again interesting, as we know that it's all about supply and demand, and with the continual decline of diesel in the new car market and focus on petrol, the balance will shift.  I've always reported that there is a demand for diesel in the dealer retail market and values will and are remaining strong - obviously for the right models which should be a diesel for the right journey and driver. 

On 31/08/2018 at 7:42 PM, NOACROSS said:

Yes, and I fail to see why you can’t answer, join in the ‘real world’ on here and the sarcasm as you put it!

Thanks for showing you are in fact a real person!

Always here NOACROSS and it's my name and picture (yes corporate unfortunately on here)n :-) 

More than happy to have telephone or email conversations and invite forum members to feedback distributions and include in the monthly survey. 

Hope that helps. 

Philip

Any pain points or opportunities ahead of the September market? - August buoyant for us, seem to be getting a lot of response, sales YoY up 11% with same stock holding, trade prices due to dealer demand at auction seem to very strong would be biggest pain point and have no option but price stock accordingly,

Is stock supply holding relative to demand? don't quite know what this means? We buy in line with demand so our cars don't tend to stick around too long. our days to turn is consistently around 34 days. the availability of the more in demand cars at auction seem ok but as mentioned above everyone's chasing the same cars so pushing up prices

Will August finish ahead or behind 2017? ahead, interest in diesels has also gone up, notice my advert views of the diesel stock up in past 4-6 weeks, customer's haven't a clue or don't care about WLPT I find. Footfall strong and Advert views on AT up, so fingers crossed for a good Q3

How would you describe the overall market? think it depends on how successful new car sales are and how well franchised dealers do, we tend to boom 4-6 weeks after new registration, pick up a lot of decent part ex but think the manufacturers discounts will start to end and cheap PCP deals will start to peter out.September started well (last weekend) still as strong as August thankfully

you still in the IMDA Phil?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RH Trading said:

Any pain points or opportunities ahead of the September market? - August buoyant for us, seem to be getting a lot of response, sales YoY up 11% with same stock holding, trade prices due to dealer demand at auction seem to very strong would be biggest pain point and have no option but price stock accordingly,

Is stock supply holding relative to demand? don't quite know what this means? We buy in line with demand so our cars don't tend to stick around too long. our days to turn is consistently around 34 days. the availability of the more in demand cars at auction seem ok but as mentioned above everyone's chasing the same cars so pushing up prices

Will August finish ahead or behind 2017? ahead, interest in diesels has also gone up, notice my advert views of the diesel stock up in past 4-6 weeks, customer's haven't a clue or don't care about WLPT I find. Footfall strong and Advert views on AT up, so fingers crossed for a good Q3

How would you describe the overall market? think it depends on how successful new car sales are and how well franchised dealers do, we tend to boom 4-6 weeks after new registration, pick up a lot of decent part ex but think the manufacturers discounts will start to end and cheap PCP deals will start to peter out.September started well (last weekend) still as strong as August thankfully

you still in the IMDA Phil?

Thanks, RH Trading, very useful and interesting.  

I'm involved a little as a none voting advisor these days, as I need to remain impartial. 

18 hours ago, Philip Nothard said:

Thanks, RH Trading, very useful and interesting.  

I'm involved a little as a none voting advisor these days, as I need to remain impartial. 

Hi Phil

I notice you have not commented on CAP valuations and the rumour about collusion with Auction groups.Seeing the bonus being paid to the BCA CEO,the CAP guys should invoice her for £10m.

• Like 2