Sign in to follow this  
AutoJacob

Sending part exchanges to the block?

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Sorry, I think you’re well off course. Legally the police won’t be interested - the duty lies with the driver. 

Under a civil action the onus of proof is less but  still your advert will match your invoice. The only argument would laughably be about allowing someone to drive away in THEIR car but how on earth can we stop someone driving away in THEIR car? Sorry but that’s a load of old tosh, if someone stabs someone does the victim take the retailer who sold the knife to court?

Good luck refusing to hand over the keys to someone you’ve just sold a car too. My responsibility is to advertise correctly, not mislead customers & record the sale correctly. I’m not a moral guardian for the actions of strangers. 

If you think something through to the worst possible scenario you’d never, ever sell anything. 

Exactly. Told him to trailer it away. Said he could'nt get his truck in the entrance it was parked round the corner. 

Declaring a car with a brutal advert as not safety inspected, carry out your own checks, spares or repairs and if someone wants to wing it driving it away as an adult the responsibility lies entirely with them.

2 hours ago, BHM said:

Sorry, I think you’re well off course. Legally the police won’t be interested - the duty lies with the driver. 

Under a civil action the onus of proof is less but  still your advert will match your invoice. The only argument would laughably be about allowing someone to drive away in THEIR car but how on earth can we stop someone driving away in THEIR car? Sorry but that’s a load of old tosh, if someone stabs someone does the victim take the retailer who sold the knife to court?

Good luck refusing to hand over the keys to someone you’ve just sold a car too. My responsibility is to advertise correctly, not mislead customers & record the sale correctly. I’m not a moral guardian for the actions of strangers. 

If you think something through to the worst possible scenario you’d never, ever sell anything. 

Thats how i see it as well.

If you applied that chain of thought to other circumstances in life the world would get even more silly. 

Hello Mr corner shop owner you sold me cigarettes for the last twenty years now i have cancer, i know the makers told me it might happen but when i handed you over my xyz money you should have stopped me taking them away.

• Like 1

Blimey this has gone on a bit. I think all I was suggesting was selling a SOR was, for me, conditional on the car being trailered away. Where I trade it's never been a problem but I don't sell many SOR's. I suppose I was given this TS advice and it made sense to me that a car I'd deemed not suitable for retail sale shouldn't be driven off my premises. It seems a stress free way of dealing with cars in this condition/price bracket. 

Edited by Darkbluecars