have a word with the wife

bca brighouse is 45 year old

takes a bit of thinking about that one, imagine 45 years ago :huh:

auctioneer= " morris 1000 then tax disc is with me, tested march, who will start me off? do i hear £35 ? £30 then ? move it to the door driver or put the choke in me customers are dying ":lol:

• Like 2

Just wiping my Vodka & Tonic off the screen. 

Remember BCA Birmingham ( Castle Vale) same thing. Getting choked on the canteen gantry eating your bacon buttie. 

35 years ago for me. Wow!!

supposed to be retired but still loving the buzz. 

I used to like Castle Bromwich BCA and Tewkesbury - crap cafe mind.

Brings back memories of going with my old man and seeing Maxis being pushed thru by a couple of yard lads, selling for £10, only to see the buyer drive off in it running fine

Edited by Paddy
  • Like 1

Correct Castle Bromwich. My mistake. Even though Castle vale was closer to to BCA than Castle Bromwich. 

All changed last time I was their probably 5 years ago. Separate cafe and 2 halls if I remember. Or is that Measham?

Won (haha) a Morris Ital from Measham and it blew its brains out all over the M42 on the way back to Tamworth. 

Happy days..:lol:

2 minutes ago, RHO said:

All changed last time I was their probably 5 years ago. Separate cafe and 2 halls if I remember. Or is that Measham?

Cafe was in a central glass room, just prior to auction lane (don't recall there being two but long time ago) overlooking the hall

5 minutes ago, RHO said:

Won (haha) a Morris Ital from Measham and it blew its brains out all over the M42 on the way back to Tamworth. 

Isn't amazing - at the time you must have been totally devastated at the cost/loss, how to recover, stress, wishing you could undo the deal.  Now just water under the bridge.

had several nightmare buys but now I smile to myself about how it seemed to be the end of the world.  Still have the odd one now but I don't sweat it, just hate the bastard car until the day it goes and they always do in the end.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Cafe was in a central glass room, just prior to auction lane (don't recall there being two but long time ago) overlooking the hall

Isn't amazing - at the time you must have been totally devastated at the cost/loss, how to recover, stress, wishing you could undo the deal.  Now just water under the bridge.

When I went 30 plus years ago the cafe was on a gantry opposite the Autioneer. 

Yes totally miffed with the shitter. Weeks later same thing with an Avenger. Came back to tow It and some bugger had nicked all the Tiger wheels someone had put on it. Oh what joys. 

41 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

takes a bit of thinking about that one, imagine 45 years ago :huh:

auctioneer= " morris 1000 then tax disc is with me, tested march, who will start me off? do i hear £35 ? £30 then ? move it to the door driver or put the choke in me customers are dying ":lol:

My least favourite auction,you had to be a Yorkie to do well there.They had a good auctioneer,I think he was called Tony North,I was never comfortable bidding there,it was hard to get a knock down.They were usually provisional and you often had no chance........wonder why !

12 hours ago, RHO said:

Correct Castle Bromwich. My mistake. Even though Castle vale was closer to to BCA than Castle Bromwich. 

Yes two halls and separate cafe at castle brom.... well it was until December last year. Closed down and sitting abandoned now awaiting demolition for hs2 to run through it.

Tewkesbury was victim of the floods and never recovered but nice auction to travel to, all motorway, never any traffic and some really nice fellow traders, happens when you're a little more remote.  I am wondering (never been) whether Bridgwater would be similar?

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Tewkesbury was victim of the floods and never recovered but nice auction to travel to, all motorway, never any traffic and some really nice fellow traders, happens when you're a little more remote.  I am wondering (never been) whether Bridgwater would be similar?

Stories,stories.....I liked Tewkesbury,the first time I went there I saw this big guy in the ring who I had seen somewhere.It was Bomber out of Auf Wiedersein Pet,remember him.Bridgewater was good also,got tipped off when it opened that Austin Maestros which were crap and cheap as chips did well into book down there provided they were proper cars.Anyway sent a few down from the north east to try and sure enough they did a fortune because retirees on the south coast loved them.It finished up,I had my own line of Maestros in the sale and the same dealers from Devon and Cornwall used to buy them.Unfortunateley,the word got out and other North East traders started sending down clocked,newly painted up Maestros and killed the job......

6 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Stories,stories.....I liked Tewkesbury,the first time I went there I saw this big guy in the ring who I had seen somewhere.It was Bomber out of Auf Wiedersein Pet,remember him.Bridgewater was good also,got tipped off when it opened that Austin Maestros which were crap and cheap as chips did well into book down there provided they were proper cars.Anyway sent a few down from the north east to try and sure enough they did a fortune because retirees on the south coast loved them.It finished up,I had my own line of Maestros in the sale and the same dealers from Devon and Cornwall used to buy them.Unfortunateley,the word got out and other North East traders started sending down clocked,newly painted up Maestros and killed the job......

Like any business - we occassionally spot a niche (like your Maestro story) - you have to fill your boots becuase any success gets replicated.  Trick is to be Maverick and be the first to spot and do things (whilst keeping your mouth shut, however tempting it is to broadcast success) and get out as the bubble is about to pop - repeat....

I am not clever enough though.

• Like 1