Sign in to follow this  
Linctrader

Classic car mot exemption after 40 yrs...

I've just done this for a clients car at the same time as applying for their road tax exemption. 

However whilst it tells me the car is now taxed, we have had no confirmation that the car is registered as mot exempt. Its still showing in red that the car has no current mot. 

My head says this is correct, the car has no mot and if we wanted to do one we could still and that would show up as having one (no chance!) 

But surely there is some way to prove the car is now registered with dvla as mot exempt and should my client ever wish to sell he is able to show this to a prospective buyer? 

Or don't they notify anyone when you apply - you just apply for exemption and that's that? 

Cheers. 

My opinion - exempt or not, any car on a public highway should pass an annual MOT.

You wait until this takes effect;  Someone driving an MOT exempt vehicle has an accident and the unthinkable happens.  As the driver of that vehicle, it is still your responsbility to ensure it is roadworthy, if the accident is a consequence of that vehicle being unfit - you're going to jail.

Car is roadworthy, he's just wishing to take advantage of a legal way to save some money/time... 

To answer the OP, the classics I have all changed the day before the new law and now come up in green as ‘no details held’ this includes cars that had / have a test until later this year. This only shows on a mot history check. It may just take a few days for yours to update?? 

Why everyone is getting on their high horse over this exemption is beyond me, pre 60 cars have been exempt for ages and to my knowledge haven’t nearly rid the planet of humans due to the dangers! I would say 95% of dealers on here know where to go for a ticket which renders the test pretty useless anyway. There is still a telephone service operating not far from where I am, and before you all start on no I don’t agree with that. Most testers are on the younger side of not knowing what a lot of these classics are let alone how to test them which is why the government you voted in decided to remove them from testing. Vehicles still have to be roadworthy hence the police will probably take an interest in having a little look at some of the dodgier looking classics they may encounter on the roads. It just means you don’t have to pay £40 once per year to have someone place greasy hands all over your steering wheel and fail you for only having one brake light and red rear indicators only to be told that they are actually legal as the car was first used 1962! Common sense should prevail. What about agricultural vehicles, showmans, medical testing units etc... all exempt from testing, no major issues! 

Edited by MGM

14 minutes ago, MGM said:

To answer the OP, the classics I have all changed the day before the new law and now come up in green as ‘no details held’ this includes cars that had / have a test until later this year. This only shows on a mot history check. It may just take a few days for yours to update?? 

Why everyone is getting on their high horse over this exemption is beyond me, pre 60 cars have been exempt for ages and to my knowledge haven’t nearly rid the planet of humans due to the dangers! I would say 95% of dealers on here know where to go for a ticket which renders the test pretty useless anyway. There is still a telephone service operating not far from where I am, and before you all start on no I don’t agree with that. Most testers are on the younger side of not knowing what a lot of these classics are let alone how to test them which is why the government you voted in decided to remove them from testing. Vehicles still have to be roadworthy hence the police will probably take an interest in having a little look at some of the dodgier looking classics they may encounter on the roads. It just means you don’t have to pay £40 once per year to have someone place greasy hands all over your steering wheel and fail you for only having one brake light and red rear indicators only to be told that they are actually legal as the car was first used 1962! Common sense should prevail. What about agricultural vehicles, showmans, medical testing units etc... all exempt from testing, no major issues! 

Thanks mgm, it's been since the morning of 20th May so it's been a while. 

I'll have to contact them to see what the situation is. 

Sorry MGM, but after years of dealing with the general public & many of their pathologically greedy cost saving measures I’ve got to disagree. 

Imagine some infirm 70-odd year old’s ‘classic’ that’s never had a proper look over in years OR those “It’s parked in a garage so it must be ok” owners, not realising their damp & unventilated garage is causing as much corrosion as being parked in a wet field of long grass. This is one of the worst pieces of legislation that originated from Brussels - I hope come Brexit (if it ever properly happens) this legislation will be reversed.

Many, many people are happy simply because it saves them a few quid on the MOT per year. Until something major happens that is!

I get that but my point was pre 1960 cars and lots of other modern vehicles are exempt from testing and don’t seem to cause issues. 

This is how one of mine shows. It is actually tested until August this year but since the 19th of May has shown this. 

3CBD0D28-57EA-41B2-8525-E417C51C8D55.png

19 minutes ago, BHM said:

............................. I hope come Brexit (if it ever properly happens) this legislation will be reversed. ....................

Bearing in mind the number of MPs that own classic cars I wouldn't hold my breath? Come to think of it, where Brexit is concerned, I wouldn't hold my breath either?

I'm on a different train of thought on this and see it as a tax break for people who can afford to have an old banger thats all nicely tarted up. I appreciate that most testers would have no clue what to do and that in the majority of cases the cars which are now exempt from MOT will be restored and in good overall condition, but think that instead the owners of these cars should be giving the MOT money to a local, well deserving charity.

They can afford a second car for sunday outings, they can afford to give £50 to the local hospital, or whatever. So its time for the classic car clubs to take the initiative. Just my 2 penneth worth.