Sign in to follow this  
Adam laffling

Offering delivery service

Hi all a contact of mine that offers recovery and transportation of vehicles has offered me delivery of vehicles when sold, do many of you offer this service to customers when you sell a vehicle and if so is it something that you get much call for? 

Hi Adam,

We promote this service on our ads and website. Has worked well over the years and customers often take it up.

It’s usually at the customers expense and we ask that they pay up front. 

I have sometimes thrown it in at the asking price- especially if not too far away but this is unusual. 

All round the country yes. Without any issues (so far).

As Arfur alludes to, make sure you cover yourself, but not from the Distance selling that doesn’t really apply now, but  more the CRA responsibilities as with every sale.

We ensure a new no-advisory Mot, service and Pdi -all at an independent garage once the car is sold. Together with a very honest description (and good prep) with detailed photos. However, obviously also depends on the type of car.

You get a feel for a customer as we all know, so if you smell trouble, move on.  For this reason the adverts state ‘Delivery May Be Possible’.

Sometimes, customers have travelled to view and buy the car, and we’ve then arranged delivery ‘after the fact’ once the MOT/Pdi are complete-so saving them another journey.

Upon delivery they have to drive it and sign a few forms stating it is not distance selling, they are happy with the car, it has no issues, they’ve seen the Pdi sheet etc etc, and that there are no faults at the time. As well as all the warranty paperwork and so on. And the purchase invoice etc is then completed.

All the stuff you should do with any customer, no matter where the handover takes place. There’s nothing to be scared of here as long as the person doing the delivery is competent. 

(Does indeed sometimes clinch the deal. Some people can’t be bothered and/or cars don’t interest them that much. They just want a decent car from an honest garage and a no fuss service’.)

Edited by NOACROSS

Thankyou for the lengthy reply Noacross was thinking along the lines of offering delivery only on the basis that the customer had already viewed and test driven the vehicle that way they know exactly its condition and the way it drives as i could quite imagine you get the wrong person buying it blind could cause issues. 

Edited by Adam laffling

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Be very wary of DSRegs........

No chance here for this very reason. I used to do it years ago but with penniless punters seemingly now aware of most of their rights I tell them to contact Anyvan.com or Shiply - funnily enough they’re never keen after that. You can usually tell a genuine distance purchaser; they’re on the phone and NOT f***ing about emailing back & forth.

Today I had a few emails from a gentleman about 300 miles away. He claims he’s disabled, fussy as f***, expects FREE delivery and then adds “can I have £500 off the car as I’m disabled”!!! Imagine dealing with this chancer 300 miles away. 

Am finding that to be the case any punter repeatedly texting or emailing over a vehicle seems to be a waste of time the strongest leads come from a good old fashioned phone call.

11 hours ago, Adam laffling said:

Thankyou for the lengthy reply Noacross was thinking along the lines of offering delivery only on the basis that the customer had already viewed and test driven the vehicle that way they know exactly its condition and the way it drives as i could quite imagine you get the wrong person buying it blind could cause issues. 

We've done a few if local, or further a field if convenient for us or to close the deal, don't bother with it unless they have been to the site and viewed the vehicle, just can't be bothered with the agro of the 'it's my right to return it' brigade... That said, did a lovely one a few years back, sold a 4x4 Daihatsu!!!! to scotland to a lady who wanted it to reminisce about her childhood memories with her mum who had owned one.  Was an hour further on from the auction house we were visiting, so worked well for everyone.  They're not often like that tho...

Had a case very recently of a punter that came to view a 12 year old citroen belingo van wasn't happy to pay what i wanted for it due to some light scratching tried chipping me £250 off the asking price despite me spending over £300 on mechanical prep work had evidence of cambelt change what I explained in the politest possible way one customers idea of clean and another's can be two different things just imagine the hassle if I'd delivered it after them buying it blind can't win them all.

Yeah-this sort of thing I wouldn’t entertain a delivery conversation. Car needs to have nothing to discuss.

14 hours ago, Adam laffling said:

Am finding that to be the case any punter repeatedly texting or emailing over a vehicle seems to be a waste of time the strongest leads come from a good old fashioned phone call.

That’s my experience too. Having said that I get a decent amount of success from the chat function, I immediately ask for a number and time to call and engage with people quickly 

i offer a delivery service as a customer service and not as a condition of sale

take it or leave it because the service is only offered if i feel the customer is say a new driver and frightened of driving home

we've all been new drivers at some time

i will never ever deliver a car without the customer coming to me first

you set out your stall and your minimum standards you wish to abide to and keep to them

its the law here................

22 hours ago, Adam laffling said:

Agreed.

I don’t conduct business by text.

I answer two emails from a punter, if I receive a third I ask them to phone me at their convenience. Dreamers tossing it off pretending they intend to buy can waste someone else’s time.

Ahhhh! A good old fashioned phone call. Ok, so there are plenty of pillocks but this is where the genuine business comes via.

Last texting messer contacted me 30 minutes before the appointment to view a van to say they weren't coming as they'd been involved in a car accident and had come outside the hospital to text me, had another enquiry on the van so took great pleasure in letting them know someone else wanted to view which resulted in a sale all in £50 pound notes and told me they'd been looking for 3 months and mine was the best they'd seen in that time gives you a warm feeling.

9 hours ago, Adam laffling said:

Last texting messer contacted me 30 minutes before the appointment to view a van to say they weren't coming as they'd been involved in a car accident and had come outside the hospital to text me, had another enquiry on the van so took great pleasure in letting them know someone else wanted to view which resulted in a sale all in £50 pound notes and told me they'd been looking for 3 months and mine was the best they'd seen in that time gives you a warm feeling.

Credit to them letting you know they weren't coming, genuine or not, still better than a rude non-shower

• Like 2