ycltd

E Bay auctions and rogue bidders are we alone !!

We recently put a classic car up on the classic car part of the Ebay auction site, not an expensive car looking for circa 6£. Anyway auction went ahead then in last couple of days sudden activity between 2 bidders and car went from £6500 to £8800 at close of auction. Sent off invoice bidder had 10 stars so thought ok, however we heard nothing, chased nothing !! advised ebay, cancelled sale and received refund. We then relisted and at same time gave second highest bidder second chance. Surprise surprise this bidder with 1100 stars, comes back and says even though on screen shows he bid £8700 and had not seen car quote says car not worth £7000 would pay £6000 !! to which we declined as last bidder before had bid £6800. We relisted, all ok until last few seconds and guess what this character snipes and wins at £6350.  Too late to exclude his bid assuming he now wants car send of invoice and payment details. We here nothing and then have an obnoxious reply through e bay telling us he doesn't want car and to cancel. This time we have a phone number and get to speak to him, it turns out that he and a brother or associate not sure which run up the bids and then arrange to view collect and barter or harass down the price, but came unstuck with us as we threatened to take them to court.

Has anyone else had this experience, pity the private guy who is not savvy and a couple of unpleasant characters turn up ! is it worth ebay auctioning classic cars, look forward to comments

Robert   

I have done well with the two classics I sold (in the end).

Series Land Rover saw the usual jokers - viewed and asked if I would end early for £10k and when I said yes (I wanted £8k) he said he would go and have a think about it and called me every day to say he still wanted it - never did buy it, someone did buy it for £8.5k so still happy.

Other was a Rover P6 V8 auto - paid £3,500, resprayed it myself and sold for £9,000 a month or so later.

I really rate Ebay for classics and odd ball stuff - I suppose that’s because AT doesn’t really have much of a classic presence? (About to be put right here)

Ebay auctions became a total & utter waste of time about 6 or 7 years ago.

Far too many messers, private punters with no money playing about on their computer, plastic traders, Eastern European chancers, the usual Asian games and big talking African exporters who can’t even arrange to take a car from the North East to London, never mind across continents.

Tbh it doesn’t surprise me about traders messing auctions with the intention of bidding the seller down - unfortunately some of the characters in this trade are absolute vermin & try anything to chip down a price.

Right about e bay service, put in a complaint received an automatic response, immediate credit of auction fees but todate have heard nothing since !

However doesn't appear that there is a site that out there that serves us as well as Ebay classic cars classified.

We tried alternative places to advertise like on "Autotrader"  "Car and Classic"  "Pistonheads" " Gumtree" , but " Ebay seems to have the edge as generates most interest and at end of day leads to conversions.   Am I alone or does E Bay Classic Car classified have the edge,       this was why we tried a classic on an auction listing, never again !!! 

I look at it a slightly different way

back in the days where you had exchange an mart autotrader was still new and your local rag

you advertised and your customers were always local unless exchange an mart pulled a head from afar (cant remember it)

now up to date and you advertise on ebay and the whole world sees it 

the only people looking are genuine people and bored internet wallers

for this reason to cut out all the sillies why not advertise your classic like anything else for the price you want ,ok put make offer but if silly, there are steps in place to ignore if you choose

this way genuine people know whether it fits their pocket or not

i relate it to driving down a road and theres a car on the kerb saying for sale but no price,i drive on

i look in a shop window full of enticing goodies but no prices,i walk on

i like many want to know what the pound in my pocket will buy

24 minutes ago, s and b said:

i like many want to know what the pound in my pocket will buy

Barely a Mars Bar these days :unsure:

Just advertise with a classified advert. Auctions attract the illiterate, penniless pond life. 

20 minutes ago, Matt Reid said:

bargain!

I think there's some more at the other dealer, Lidl