Beautiful South Martin

Taxing a stock vehicle

22 hours ago, Phil said:

I taxed a stock vehicle for a week with monthly debits in July. I notified the DVLA using their online service to tell them I'd then sold the car (July 31st). Seems they didn't get this because they debited me the next month (Aug). I thought, well, their literature says it can take 6-8 weeks to process a V5 so I left it. Got charged again the next month (Sept), so I wrote to them and found out they knew nothing of me ever having the vehicle (mid Oct). So they told me to fill in a V62 to put me down as an owner so I could get a refund of the tax debits. Got billed again in Nov even though they know I no longer had the car. They wrote back saying "there is no legal provision to backdate a refund payment.... The issue of refunds of vehicle tax is governed by the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 and the Road Vehciles Regulations 2002. Section 19 of the Act provides for the specific calculation equal to one-twelfth of the annual rate of duty, which is unexpired when refund condition is satisfied. The refund condition is satisfied when the notification is received by the DVLA."

So how can they say, wait for 8 weeks for us to process your V5... while we take out your monthly payments... and then refuse to refund you!

I think I can get round their incompetence by using the direct debit guarantee and claiming it back that way.

why didn't you just cancel the DD ??

46 minutes ago, whitestone679231 said:

why didn't you just cancel the DD ??

if you remember i posted about a letter i received from the dvla regarding removal of trade plates and a criminal record possibility to anyone found abusing the new keeper slip system on dd]

hell this is supposed to help us weed out kerbside traders