Sign in to follow this  
James Baggott

What homemade modifications have you seen?

I had a good old-fashioned email from a reader this weekend. I though I'd post it in here for you to see. It made me laugh. 

Dear all. Following recent comments in Car Dealer magazine concerning so called improvements in technological wizardry, I think readers might be interested in this home spun gadget - a driver's knee rest - in a car we had in for service the other day.

Anyone want to go into production with me, or do I have to take it to the Dragons?

Peter Murray, HLG High Lane Garage, Stockport, Cheshire.

photo.jpg

I emailed Peter back telling him how funny I thought it was. And he added:

Thought it might amuse you! The car is a Mazda 3.  

Years ago, I used to deal with a chap who drove a yellow Beetle, towing behind him a matching yellow dog kennel on a trailer, containing his beloved Alsation.

Not sure about the legal take on this nowadays, but it must have been OK in the 80's, as he was a policeman!

Maybe you could open this up for other dealers to enlighten your readers about home brewed motoring gadgetry? 

And I thought that was a good idea. Have you seen any mad modifications on part exchanges you've taken in? Can you remember any that would make us chuckle. I'd love to hear your stories...

I remember Simon Wight biffing around in a Civic he'd taken in p/x from an old boy who was clearly hard of hearing.  The indicator system had been hooked up to a DEAFENING buzzer which when off whenever you signaled to make a turn.

• Like 2

We had a customer who had a disabilty and didnt have the strenght in his hand/arm to pull the handbrake, so he invented a contrapsion so he could use his knee/leg to pull the handbrake on

• Like 1