Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Tapping Focus '06

Looks like I've 'rat fucked' myself for the first time in 2018:angry:. With what I thought was a nice little 1.6 Focus '06 with good miles and history. Starts and drives fine from cold but when warm the engine is tapping like a stuck lifter. Trouble is they're solid lifters. Can anyone give me an idea of what it may cost to check/adjust the valve shims (which obviously will involve new cam belt as camshafts have to come out)? I know I am going to choke on the cost quite apart from wiping out the profit.. :rolleyes:

Wasn't a BCA Peterborough one today by any chance?

If it's the VCT one they have variable timing and can have trouble with what I think are called Cam Variators - if that sounds like the problem I'll ask the mechanic exactly what he did to fix a customer's one that came in.

2 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

Wasn't a BCA Peterborough one today by any chance?

If it's the VCT one they have variable timing and can have trouble with what I think are called Cam Variators - if that sounds like the problem I'll ask the mechanic exactly what he did to fix a customer's one that came in.

No not BCA. To be honest it is silent when cold but just starts ticking when fully hot. I followed it through from when they started it to in the hall and it was silent, but its down to me sadly. The 'tap' doesnt kick in until above 2k rpm but its not coming from vct units I'm sure. I can't seem to find anyone that's done this job even though these engines expect a 'shim' at 90k ish, wired?

I presume it’s a Petrol? 

Whip the spark plugs out and give them a thorough checking, maybe even change them. We had one with a strange noise and it had a spark plug where the insulator tip had cracked and was rattling around and gave off a horrible tappet style noise. 

The bad news is that we also had one with play in a gudgeon pin that sounded like a tappet too! 

35 minutes ago, Stalker said:

I presume it’s a Petrol? 

Whip the spark plugs out and give them a thorough checking, maybe even change them. We had one with a strange noise and it had a spark plug where the insulator tip had cracked and was rattling around and gave off a horrible tappet style noise. 

The bad news is that we also had one with play in a gudgeon pin that sounded like a tappet too! 

Thanks, I'll check

24 minutes ago, Stalker said:

Did you sort this one met?

No, i bailed out of it in the end