Sensei

Road tax @ car auctions

I was wondering if the new tax rule from October 1st would deter (some) private buyers from attending the car auctions if the following was introduced

I just thought it might be a good idea if the auction centres could bring in that their policy is to tax the car before it is allowed out of the premises and on the road. this could simply be done via the DVLA online service in seconds and then and of course the cost of the tax be added to the final price of the car at point of payment .. being as you dont always have to be the registered owner of the car to tax it the auction house could still tax it and of course then any refund at a later date go to the new owner when the logbook is returned via the DVLA

The reason is im just thinking this would certainly stop the private buyer wanting to use the car direct from the auctions or waiting to the start on the next calender month or even onward for any period of time with no tax as it doesnt now have to be placed in the windscreen .. so then deter some private buyers from attending if they knew that the road tax had to now be paid before the car can be driven away ...

just an idea?

Auction houses wouldn't do anything to deter making money from these private buyers!  ;)

Interesting points and I see how the theory of making it difficult for non-trade customers might be attractive to us.

But...

How much longer do you want the queues at the payment windows?

Can you honestly see the auction staff wanting to get involved with explaining the whole new DVLA system to every single customer? (After all, that's our job innit?) And then having to do the taxing online? And then re-invoicing? No, me neither.

The new rules clearly state that the responsibility for taxing the new car lies with the purchaser. I wonder how much info the auction houses are giving purchasers in this regard?