Sign in to follow this  
Gavin@Rousdon

Customer from Guernsey wants to P/X ???

Don't know if anyone can help or has any experience of this. Have a customer who lives in Guernsey  wants to p/x his 2012 Ford Focus which he purchased 2nd hand from a dealer in Guernsey.

Looking online it seems it may not be that simple as VAT may or may not have to be paid on the Focus. It seems that I have to use a NOVA Form or online system.

Can anyone help or offer and advice?

cheers!

Gavin

There may be more knowledgeable people out there who have done this, but my understanding is that if it was first registered in Guernsey then you will have to pay VAT on it.

However, its not unheard of for cars to have been originally bought from the UK, in which case VAT will have been paid and as its been in Guernsey less than 3 years no VAT should have to be paid.

I'd ask him if he knows where the car was originally sold and has any proof of this.

Of course, once it's here you'll also have to register it with DVLA and get it MOT'd etc..

Cheers Andy. I rang up the HMRC and got their standard answers, which only tells me what I know but not anything about the car!!!  I'm guess from talking to the customer that this Ford Focus started life in Guernsey so will have to have VAT paid on it.