Sign in to follow this  
Andy Entwistle

RE: Reputation far more important than price when it comes to choosing a garage

Do you agree?

Yes. If only it was the same for retail...

Sparky do you think that the big classifieds sites can successfully introduce a reviews system to add this element of reputation?  Sites like whocanfixmycar and other bigger sites that we all know in other markets rely heavily on customer reviews. Given how mature these markets are the reviews should flow quickly right...   

Andy

I think reputation is one of the most important if not the most important element, especially when it comes to anything to do with cars, let it be servicing or sales. That is why it is so important to build your good reputation within this industry,

• Like 2

Personally I think customers pick price (the absolute lowest price) and expect quality. Reputation is something that mattered 'pre' internet days when the trade was a local community. 30yrs ago I knew every trader in my local area, probably went to school with them or my dad knew thier dad, now its a very different and "everybody" is trade

Yes I too agree. Reputation of a grarage can make one to rely or turst them for the services they provide. They too will be mindful about the quality of services they provide. Cost becomes the second factor while considering this.

I agree with metcars, if I'm selling a Clio for example, mine will be amongst the most expensive , why, because it's been prepped properly, hence I won't get a call at all in the first few days

Then I get to hear the sob stories from customers who went to see the cheaper cars and how terrible they were!

Well what do they expect, you get what you pay for

• Like 1

You do indeed get what you pay for Wheeler Dealer 1, whatever it is in life. Unfortunately, the internet lists by price, and so retail buyers are naturally led by this. We do not buy cars from auction, all our stock is main dealer, px or bought privately locally. The cars are prepped to a high standard, have a quality warranty, and we do describe accurately, unfortunately, we then have to compete on price with someone who has quickly popped a car through the local hand car wash and taken photos in front of someone else's industrial unit. Its here your reputation can set you apart, either on your site, or social media posts to your facebook/twitter. 

And that's the reason why I'm all in favour for tougher laws governing who can and cannot call themselves a trader, it might our life a bit difficult, but worth the hassle to get rid of or at least reduce the Del Boy traders !

This is an easy question to answer - of cause it is! We all know this from our own direct experiences.

The much harder question to answer is how to prove you have a good reputation? How do I demonstrate that if things go wrong (which with the best will in the world sometimes they do) I can be relied on sort it out?

Other industries have fully embraced independently moderated customer reviews as the way forward.  Most motor dealers are petrified of the impact of receiving a bad review and so avoid getting involved.  We have to learn that endless positive quotes on a website are pointless.  Bad reviews are actually our best friend for many reasons not least of which being they add crucial credibility in the eyes of our customers if they have been well responded to. 

I have to declare an interest though - we have been building a independent motor dealer review site (car buying advisor) for a little while now and we are convinced it is the way forward for to build trust in our industry.