Sign in to follow this  
williamblackshaw

Time of year when loads of teams ask for sponsorship, how do you decide?

So I've been approached by quite a few local football teams seeking sponsorship over the past 2 weeks, how do you decide who to sponsor?

Will any end in sales? Or do they simply want a new kit? If I was in your position I'd be thinking very carefully about the return on investment. It may only be a few hundred quid but without a photo opp at the dealership and a guarantee of local coverage in the paper I wouldn't be doing it.

Sounds harsh but this is business after all...

Totally agree with you James, Photo and PR .. I helped a good friend out with local team a few years ago, got promised various photo shoots but nothing ever materialised - told him how disappointing i had been - he had the cheek to ask the next year - !!  Told him I might as well have put the few hundred quid down the drain ! he's answer was can't believe you don't want to help these young kids for a few hundred quid !  

Got approached again by another local team this year - I explained what i would want as a minimum and they would have to sign to agree - guess what they never came back - last I heard they're still looking ! Once caught ...! 

• Like 1

Problem with a lot of sponsorships is that they solely want your money and rarely do any of the people connected to the team become customers. The only time I would consider a sponsorship was if I was approached by a very good customer, that way its more of a goodwill payment then a payment in hope of some return.

• Like 1