Sign in to follow this  

Important European directive - what are your views?

Isn't this just an extension of the Distance Selling Regs?

We don't take online-only orders. I ensure that every car that we sell has been seen, touched and tested by the prospective purchasers before they drive away, so the rules don't apply.

We've had a 30 day exchange scheme in place for years as part of the manufacturer's Approved scheme- never had to change one yet.

The right to reject for even a minor defect in the first 30 days is going to stir it up a bit though. All the more reason to ensure the cars are properly prepared prior to sale. However, where do you stop? A used car is just that - used. So the possibility of a minor defect manifesting itself within the first month is always a possibility. Especially if the driver does a lot of miles.

The thread elswhere about the car needing brake pads shortly after delivery is a case in point. New pads fitted and the customer is satisfied. Happy days.

However, under the new rules, the dealer would be obliged to take the car back and give a full refund. Not so happy days...

Interested in the definition of 'customer'; does that apply to auction buyer?

Trade to trade isn't covered, these regs are for consumer sales. I don't think Auctions sell online to consumers at present ( i may be wrong, but haven't seen it). If they do, then they will be covered by these regs too !

I am with Green Giant on this one. Specific vehicle common faults that you really need to look out for but can cost a lot to fix. Does this mean the consumer can buy a used car that they know has a fault/issue and then the very next day get the dealer to rectify it? I am thinking of the amount of E46 M3 cracked rear subframes that go unknown for many drivers and traders.

Used cars are specifically that, listing every niggle and issue will surely impact leads, speed of sale and profitability - is thats what is needed to protect the seller? "Mechaniclaly its a great car sir, but the CD player skips, the boot popper on the key remote doesnt work (they never do) and the one touch cup holder is a jammed......"

• Like 1