Sign in to follow this  

Does the motor trade need help?

There's no doubt, 'business help' programmes have been very popular on TV in the last few years. And one of the stars that has shined through is Mary Portas. Before her TV programmes, I'd never heard of her - and I'm probably not alone.

Now she's turning her attentions to the motor trade and producers are requesting car dealers to come forward for a new series. But my question is: Does the motor trade need help? And does the trade need programmes to better help customer perception?

Here's the story on our website....

What do you think? 

No more than the Restaurant trade needs help from Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. Although her last programme was to help arrest the dramatic fall in high street retail outlets footfall it is confusing her next port of call is an industry that has been growing month on month for over 2 years.

I suppose the reason for the death of the high street is the internet, along with other factors such as supermarket growth and diversification. The internet is certainly not a hindrance for Dealers I would say.

Anyway, I guess the point this will be more akin to Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares: Fixing businesses with glaring problems with a bit of hammed up acting for good measure.  

Interesting point you make there MAldridge about the industry growing. 

I suppose the motor trade is seen as one of those sectors that just rips off customers – and any programme that can be seen to 'fix' this will be produced.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it will be the same formula that we see with all these programmes. A business struggling because the owner has lost interest, won't let younger family members push it forward or just hasn't embraced new technology.

The answer will be freshen up the site/showroom, a family arguement, a change of advertising involving a new website or an vast improvement on the one they have, another arguement, getting everyone smartly dressed and to stop smoking in the sales office, walking around the local town with flyers and various sales aids (this part is always undertaken by the shyest or less confident member of the business to add cringe factor). The end result is more sales.

I very much doubt they will chose a business that is struggling because the cars are such a poor standard and their attitude to after sales is as criminal and the people who run the business.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it will be the same formula that we see with all these programmes. A business struggling because the owner has lost interest, won't let younger family members push it forward or just hasn't embraced new technology.

The answer will be freshen up the site/showroom, a family arguement, a change of advertising involving a new website or an vast improvement on the one they have, another arguement, getting everyone smartly dressed and to stop smoking in the sales office, walking around the local town with flyers and various sales aids (this part is always undertaken by the shyest or less confident member of the business to add cringe factor). The end result is more sales.

I very much doubt they will chose a business that is struggling because the cars are such a poor standard and their attitude to after sales is as criminal and the people who run the business.

You forgot the inevitable 'coffee morning' on the day of the big relaunch! :D

I dont know about you guys, but car dealers are down there with double glazing salesman and estate agents. Try mentioning what you do for a living at a barbecue and see what happens. Usually later on when everyone is drunk they want you to find them a 5yr old BMW! :D

• Like 1

I agree. It'll be dealers that are struggling with the concept of modern signage. I very much doubt it will be the 'typical' (dodgy) car dealer the public has in mind