Sign in to follow this  
c_cars

Looking for opinions..

Ive got a bit of a grey area with an aftersales issue, looking for your views if possible.

A customer collected an 11 plate Corsa from me on the 1st June, on which we carried out an pre sale MOT (independent 3rd party MOT station).

The customer has now called me today saying that his discs and pads are down to the metal and require changing and has sent me a quotation from his garage. On this quote it shows the mileage and in the last 9 days he has covered nearly 700 miles since purchase.

My thoughts are that if the car passed an MOT and the customer has since done that amount of mileage in such a short time then we shouldnt be accountable,

What are your thoughts?

If it was me I would get the car back and check it out. You can't always see brake pads when you MOt a car so therefore you can't fail them. Also trading standards would expect you to carry out a PDI on a car before selling it which would include removing the wheels to check the condition of the brakes.

Also 700 miles is hardly any mileage, any court will expect a car to last more then 700 miles before devoloping a fault.

Could the fault not be down to a seized brake caliper? If you haven't got your own workshop best to get a car to a trusted garage to look at it.

I'm affraid it's not a grey area in my mind. Get the car sorted and apoligise to the customer. Trust me your reputation will be alot better for it.

Yeah, I picked that up this afternoon after posting funnily enough.

Ive also put myself in the customers shoes which surprisingly puts a different slant on it 'how would i feel' etc.

All sorted and resolved now anyway :)

Chris,

I may of come across as sounding a little harsh in my replies but trading standards would really come down hard if they feel its a safety issue.

It's well worth reading through the OFT guidance, at least then you get the gist of what you can and can't get away with.

Also I find most the time everyone is happier once the problem is resolved and the customer is happy

Think 'we' all have to put ourselves in customers shoes ! ( if they fit!) certainly 700 miles and such short time ! I'd be apologising to the customer , courtesy car - new pads fitted - washed give it back ! he/she will be telling everyone what great service and hopefully return to buy another !

• Like 1

Can't help but agree with Umesh here. If you can, always go that extra mile and just make the customer happy - I know I sound like a seasoned car dealer with that response, but I'm just thinking like the customer here.

How was it resolved Chris?

Its all sorted now and very easily, as my previous post putting yourself in the customers shoes always helps..

Gave the customer the option of bringing it back to us or getting the work done at his local garage, he had it done locally and we settled the bill!

We've had a similar problem, Mercedes 350 CDi Saloon, intermittent Satellite Navigation problem shortly after delivery. We took the decision to resolve the problem and fit a new Navigation unit, we now have what I would describe as a customer who will champion our business, customer sent us a very complimentary testimonial letter, providing the customer is not obviously trying it on, its ALWAYS worth promoting your good reputation and resolving the issue, have a read of his letter and click on the tweet itself @AutocarsHull.