I've read this article, and wondered how many 'dealers' check every cars history with the servicing dealer stamped in the book?

A car dealer has been fined £5,000 for selling a car with a false service history.

Presley Ogbondah, director of MPH Cars Ltd in Billet Lane, Hornchurch, failed to check the history of a car he sold, which turned out to be falsified.

After the vehicle had been purchased, its new owner noticed loud knocking noises coming from the engine. Following some attempts to have the vehicle repaired, it was discovered that a replacement engine was needed at considerable cost.

The owner contacted the main dealership and discovered the service history supplied with the vehicle was false and the car had not been serviced by them at all.

Although Ogbondah had not falsified the history himself, he pleaded guilty to engaging in a commercial practice which was a misleading action contrary to the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.

Appearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court on April 7, he was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay £1,000 costs, as well as £3,000 compensation to the consumer. (Source: Romford Recorder)

Any thoughts on this ? 

Personally I think its impossible to check every stamp in every service history, we'd spend more time on the phone than actually selling cars!

I think we should all have enough experience to get the 'feeling' if a car or history isnt quite right and have enough knowledge of how to take appropriate action where necessary.

• Like 1

I think there must be more to the story - if you sold a car engine failed etc and was possibly going to court you would seek to get invoices from the dealers that have stamped the book to check correct oil etc has been supplied. If I couldn't prove the service history I wouldn't let it get to court