umesh

Posting Pictures / information/ Registration numbers on Social Media.

Posting Pictures / information/ Registration numbers on Social Media.
I’ve been thinking about this for a quite a while and the recent story about Paul Weller made me wonder even more. I’m always cautious about what information I post on social media, I always ask customers if they are OK with their picture being posted on FB / Twitter when they’ve bought a car from me. It’s all too easy to snap away without thinking and post pictures /information which could cause an issue for some one.
The Paul Weller situation is a bit different as it’s his children, but what if you spotted a car with an unusual registration number , snapped away posted it on twitter , and the car shouldn’t have been there for whatever reason ???
I nearly did that say a car with ‘GOK’ ( Don’t think it was Gok Wan !) But was just about to take a picture and thought ‘what if’ ... I didn’t bother! We all do these things on spur of the moment and its for fun , but in reality are we asking for trouble ? lawsuit ? any thoughts ?

I think this would be covered by the same rules of taking pictures in a public place that the press adhere too.

Posted from the ACPO directive online:

• There are no powers prohibiting the taking of photographs, film or digital images in a public place. Therefore members of the public and press should not be prevented from doing so.

• We need to cooperate with the media and amateur photographers. They play a vital role as their images help us identify criminals.

• We must acknowledge that citizen journalism is a feature of modern life and police officers are now photographed and filmed more than ever.

• Unnecessarily restricting photography, whether for the casual tourist or professional is unacceptable and it undermines public confidence in the police service.

• Once an image has been recorded, the police have no power to delete or confiscate it without a court order. 

• Like 1