Sign in to follow this  
HKQAC

Best auction houses

Just interested what auction houses people find to be the best, and what areas?  We operate from Bristol and the main place we source from is Manheim Bristol, but be sure you wont get a decent car there for under cap clean.  Can I expect any different at other manheim centre's?  Or are manheim just an expensive auction?

I go to bristol as well. If you think its expensive there try BCA blackbushe! Bonkers up there been going for 2 years and pulled the plug. The difference

between BCA and manheim is night and day. Not just the prices but the quality of the set up. 

Personally I find Manheim Bristol to be very expensive, approx 600 cars going through most days I visit with almost the same amount of buyers there. It's tough to grab a bargain especially with the extortionate fees they charge...... By the time you get it out of there, prep it, fix it (as there's usually unknown faults present) there's not much profit left. Rant over! 

IMO there are less cars coming through the sales than there used to be. A lot of the regional auctions are no more - (Anyone remember SMA they were my favourite by a long shot)

I buy out of Bristol  as its a cheap train ticket to go and get them picked up. If its a nice car you are paying for it. You are not walking into any auction anywhere in the UK and picking up a well optioned car in good nick that is a desirable car for bottom book or average. Half the stock is reserved at cap clean + 500 ffs. 

Buying good stock takes up hours and hours of time. No easy cheat round it.

Yep, it’s getting harder & harder to buy stock and the days of absolutely nicking something (rather than just getting it a couple of hundred quid cheaper) are long gone. 

The main dealers are giving strong p/x bids to get business, half of the older trade-ins are well & truly knackered and anything with vaguely nice miles makes an absolute fortune. 

Those of you wanting to know where the ‘secret’ places to buy half price, mint, ready to retail stock are located shouldn’t hold your breaths.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BHM said:

Yep, it’s getting harder & harder to buy stock and the days of absolutely nicking something (rather than just getting it a couple of hundred quid cheaper) are long gone. 

The main dealers are giving strong p/x bids to get business, half of the older trade-ins are well & truly knackered and anything with vaguely nice miles makes an absolute fortune. 

Those of you wanting to know where the ‘secret’ places to buy half price, mint, ready to retail stock are located shouldn’t hold your breaths.

You are dead right there, how can you get anything cheap now when the auction fees have went up so much in the last ten years. Even if the hammer price is low you are still fooked. The days of stealing a car at auction, taking it home and trading it out for a good chunk of profit are gone.