Sign in to follow this  
Andy Entwistle

RE: Toyota recalls 1.9 million Prius models over speed control concerns

Should Toyota be commended for acting on these issues regardless of the cost of the recall, or are they just suffering from quality issues that others aren;t?

We all know of plenty of "known issues" that manufacturers refuse to acknowledge, fearful of the cost of a recall ( or lawsuit).

Failing power steering pumps, head gaskets made of lace and faulty handbrakes are 3 that come to mind straight away..

What are your views?

Toyota seem to play be the rule yet when the recall cars it's always reported as a 'bad new story' for the brand. In my eyes it shows a company that care once the car has left the showroom. With 'software' issues most manufactures only do important updates when they see the car in their workshops, hidden as part of the service, hardly fair on people who don't use main dealers.

In the last few months I've fitted 2 geniune Land Rover alternators to Disco 3's, both vehicle have the same fault after fitting. After a little probing and searching Land Rover parts tell me there is a  issue with a batch of alternators. I then speak to the service department at the same dealer who claim to know nothing of the problem. After 4 weeks of figthing and having a service manager speak down to me the customer have his car back with a brand new alternator supplied by Land Rover.

My point is there may still be X number of cars fitted with a faulty alternator, Land Rover knows this but is happy to let customers suffer.

I feel Toyota are doing it the proper way, there's an issue and they're standing by their product.

Unlike many manufacturers who 'claim' they don't have issue when we all know there are issues i.e. Audi - Volkswagen - DSG Gearbox EVERYONE Knows about these, but manufacturer 'claims' not to know of any faults ! There are plenty others not playing by the rules , all this gives them a bad reputation and its the customers who has to pay out for expensive repairs !

Good on you Toyota!

think we all? know that a certain manufacturer found it cheaper to hide a known defect and pay out compensation rather than recall cars  [families that died in fireballs due to exploding petrol tanks when rear ended ] we are talking billions of dollars.

But then i hear some dealers are taking advantage of recalls and noticing other faults while its in for its " free of charge " recall, tyres discs wipers, springs to mind, so it could be viewed from any angle if you understand me.