Sign in to follow this  
AVI_8

No V5/C

I've recently bought a car at auction for my son, the car was a finance repossession and didn't come with a registration document or V5/C, when I checked the online status of the car on DVLA it was apparent that I wasn't going to be able to tax it until I get the new V5 which will take a few weeks, if I had the previous keepers postcode I could have taxed it at the post office with the V62, didn't have the postcode though.

Can anyone advise me how I would have got around this problem if I had bought this car to trade, if that had been the case and I'd sold the car on would the new owner be able to tax it straight away with a V62, or would they have to wait for the new V5, an a acceptable situation.

Thanks 

Refer to DVLA website. It’s all on there & no there’s no dodge around it.

Yes much easier days back then, so having to wait roughly 3 weeks is a long time to wait for a V5 to come through the post in order to tax the car for a 17 year old who's just passed his driving test and has his car on the driveway, but a lesson for me, I've never bought a car without a V5C before, would be very difficult to sell to someone through trade as they wouldn't be able to tax it for several weeks after buying it, it's not a mistake I'll make again, the only way round it I can see would be to register the car in my name then sell it, not ideal.

Its one of them I buy a few and half the time they follow through from auction ( usually after I have just sent a cheque and applied).

Just wait it out.