Sign in to follow this  
jimreidvehicle

Could this work in the UK? Costco Used Cars

Don't see why not Jim. A sales a sale no matter where it's made.

I thought Makro tried it - pretty sure it was done by D.C.Cook & Makro - Joint Venture? More with new than used if memory serves me right?

Yes guys but surely this is a different model? Costco are trying to get their members into Franchise Used Car Dealerships to gain a discount , as far as I can see they are not trying to sell cars in the shops !

Is this what we want? Surely they will expect their cut of the sale.

In previous lives i've worked for industry suppliers who have all looked at using their own customer base in a similar way, but have struggled to make it work. Both the RAC and insurance companies looked at trying to do something similar in the past. The key as we all know is getting critical mass of vehicles to make it work. This is where our friends at Auto Trader, motors and Ebay have themselves in a strong position.

I remember many years ago, as a Lloyds customer, my premium bank account gave me access to cars via them, but this just didn't work for them either...

Don;t get me wrong, i fully support any new ideas to open up the market, but am sceptical to how successful this will be...

• Like 1

Is this what we want? Surely they will expect their cut of the sale.

In previous lives i've worked for industry suppliers who have all looked at using their own customer base in a similar way, but have struggled to make it work. Both the RAC and insurance companies looked at trying to do something similar in the past. The key as we all know is getting critical mass of vehicles to make it work. This is where our friends at Auto Trader, motors and Ebay have themselves in a strong position.

I remember many years ago, as a Lloyds customer, my premium bank account gave me access to cars via them, but this just didn't work for them either...

Don;t get me wrong, i fully support any new ideas to open up the market, but am sceptical to how successful this will be...

Agree Andy, although the post is titled "Could this work in the UK' it doesn't mean that I agree with it! A large company like Costco helping gain their members large discounts off a used car will be unlikely to work, almost the same as the Vauxhall Partners scheme, it's amazing how many people work for the NHS within your family or who are your 2nd cousin removed, just to get a little bit of discount from a FULL price product, when in fact if you are wise and shop about you will get a better deal without it, just me view of course!

Wonder what their part exchange prices are like?