Sign in to follow this  
Dan W

So thick it hurts

Just had an interesting interaction with a customer.

Gentleman walks in and says I am interested in the Jimny you have out on the front..... Oh yes mr customer the 2016 model at £11,175....

Customer then proceeds to say er no !! its actually priced in the window at £1117 so I am willing to pay that amount....  I say yes very good very funny nice try. shall I get the keys and you can have a look at it.

No he says !! im being serious you have to sell this car to me at that price its the law you advertise it and im going to buy it otherwise its conning people !!

I grab the keys walk him to the car. ( Even has the finance example in the window of £11,175 ) and the 5 is on the floor..... you see mr customer its just where the number has fallen down, of course the vehicle would never be this price. are you actually interested or not ?

He then threatens to take us to court for all sorts takes pictures as evidence.. all the while me and the manager are stood in bemusement and cant work out if this is a prank or not.

I mean it certainly gave me a chuckle to get through a Monday but I have never experienced anything like this before.

Nope                                                                                                                                                                     see that? speechless :D

Absolutely ridiculous. They get worse by the day. 

I'll give you £1118 for it. :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, DHill said:

Absolutely ridiculous. They get worse by the day. 

I'll give you £1118 for it. :ph34r:

Deal !!! :D

Had that twice.  I just laugh at them.  Bloody idiots.

Also had the ones where they've mis-read or do not understand the window signs of p/m over 36 months.  Or 36 months @ £x. Thinking the X is the total price of the vehicle in 1 sum.

Also when we were doing our Minimum Part Exchange deal of £1,000.  Had some absolute lemon who wanted to give us his old Onion and £1,000 for a £23,400 Masa.  I just stood there shacking my head.

Then just a few months ago, a customer talking to my finance manager doing a demands and needs I overhead them:
Finance Manager : "What's your monthly electricity bill?... 
Customer : "I don't have electricity"
FM : "You don't have electricity in your home? 
Cus : "Nope"
FM : "How do you run the kettle, TV, etc?"
Cus : "Oh you mean Leccy"

I actually face palmed myself.

• Like 1

Sounds like someone with a poor grasp of law yet are a self proclaimed expert!  

Generally, advertisements are not offers but invitations to treat, so the person advertising is not compelled to sell. In Partridge v Crittenden[1968] 1 WLR 1204, a defendant who was charged with "offering for sale protected birds"—bramblefinch cocks and hens that he had advertised for sale in a newspaper—was not offering to sell them. Lord Parker CJ said it did not make business sense for advertisements to be offers, as the person making the advertisement may find himself in a situation where he would be contractually obliged to sell more goods than he actually owned.

A display of goods for sale in a shop window or within a shop is an invitation to treat, as in the Boots case,[3] a leading case concerning supermarkets. The shop owner is thus not obliged to sell the goods, even if signage such as "special offer" accompanies the display. Also, If a shop mistakenly displays an item for sale at a very low price it is not obliged to sell it for that amount.[4] For an offer to be capable of becoming binding on acceptance, the offer must be definite, clear, and objectively intended to be capable of acceptance.

Been there ! in the old days of lick n stick prices in windscreen [terrible things] i had a £1695 that i was offered £600 on ?! after a discussion we looked at the car and i showed him the 1 dropped on drivers seat ! so he even bid me lower than £695 :lol:

And I thought it was the internet’s fault that brings us all of the ridiculous offers :rolleyes: