James Baggott

Japanese or Korean?

I've been in the Far East for two weeks with Kia and Mazda in Seoul and then Tokyo respectively. Both are amazing places and I've learned lots.

There was a fascinating insight into selling Kias to Koreans when I visited a dealer and the Tokyo Motor Show was as mad as ever. Full reports on both in the next issue of the magazine.

But I'm wondering what you think - which country is innovating the most in the car industry these days? Is Korea still playing catch up or are the Japanese now lagging behind? Or will those from the Land of the Rising Sun always come up with the most innovations?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts...

The Koreans seem to match the Japanese technology.. But at a far less price, With great warrantys.. but that could just be my rose tinted glasses

Have to agree......I am fast becoming Kia's biggest fan.

I firmly believe that Kia will become number two to Ford in the not too distant future.

I'm not convinced the Chinese really care enough to have a concerted punt at the UK market.  Most of their cars are engineered for LHD only, and their domestic market is much more like the US with automatic gearboxes and bigger engines than the European norm.  If they decide that there's loads of monay to be made in Malaysia, Thailand and SA then they might bother doing the RHD stuff properly but when the whole of North and South America and everyone else in Europe buys LHD the UK  will always be niche.

MG are different as the UK presence and sales are used to give the brand credibility in their home market so it doesn't matter that they sell about 7 cars a year to genuine retail buyers, but I can't see Geely giving the British market too much thought when they can sell boat loads of cars to less discerning customers in Southern Europe and the former Soviet states.

That's a good point Jamie. Hadn't thought about it that way. Unless they can get a foothold in other right hand drive markets - Japan, Oz - then it might not be worth their while. It's not like the UK car market is the biggest in Europe. It might be currently the most buoyant but I'm unsure whether that will last.

Plus Made In China perception problems will be hard to shake. After a big fanfare we haven't heard much from Great Wall have we?