Sign in to follow this  
Alfie walker

Commercial/van dealers

Is there any commercial dealers on here? How did you find last month up until now?

im just starting up and have been going for about 5-6months nothing has really been hanging about up until a month ago!

I sell a few commercials do ok with them I find leading up to christmas they pick up more. 

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

I sell a few commercials do ok with them I find leading up to christmas they pick up more. 

Fingers crossed then! I'm still finding what stocks good news for me etc so I wernt sure if it was the time of year or the stock I have around me. Thanks for your reply

Be interested in this thread guys...I tried stocking a few Caddys and Partners around the 5k mark +VAT and really struggled to shift them despite being the cheapest lowest mileage around. I think part of the problem was there are too many car derived out there. Do you find rarer bigger stuff like panel vans and lutons do better?

3 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Be interested in this thread guys...I tried stocking a few Caddys and Partners around the 5k mark +VAT and really struggled to shift them despite being the cheapest lowest mileage around. I think part of the problem was there are too many car derived out there. Do you find rarer bigger stuff like panel vans and lutons do better?

I think the vat limits customers because if the person isn't vat registerd 20% on top is quite a chunk extra so people rather go private but obviously there's not much you can do about that, I've currently got a 13 plate berlingo for sale which is priced competitively with no vat and havnt had much interest I don't know if it's because you can get the same shape and mileage on an older plate for quite abit less ? So Mabey people can't warrant the extra money just for a newer year Mabey. I've just gone vat registerd and have my first van up for sale which is +vat which has seemed to put some people off but is hard to tell because I'm a newbie and know it's a slow time of year so Probably that's playing a big factor in things also it's a van I havnt sold before so don't know how popular they are so hard to tell.

I've sold quite a few commercials over the years (mainly PX's) and done very well out of them. They have always been older with without the dreaded VAT which attracts a lot of buyers, they specifically look for adverts with No VAT. Lots of people have vans who aren't VAT registered. 

14 minutes ago, Alfie walker said:

Yer I think I am so used to being VAT registered that I forgot that many trades simply aren't . Error on my part. We have a really big van dealer locally too and I suspect that even though they are more expensive people would naturally choose them as their first port of call. 

Good shout on the +VAT thing Arfur...somehow I have never ever taken a van in chop. I also always assume a van in chop is only getting part ex'd because it has got issues which probably starts me off on a negative slant as well

Grant, I've found vans are bought and sold when someone's circumstances have changed, either it's no longer needed or they need extra seats....something bigger or smaller, they are good news as long as you've given the right money of course:) 

Stay with it Alfie,you could always try some different stuff,you will eventually find out what makes the phone ring.It could be tippers or fridge vans for example.I know someone who only sells dog vans,he has a big warehouse full.What about that 'bank of Dave' guy in Burnley  who does people carriers in a big way. Good luck !

Hi

very new to this but put a Nissan navara up for sale that I bought from a trader and my Astra van and decided what ever sold first I'd keep other, 12 plate van not a call navara sold in 24 hours 

I'm vat registered aswell buy so was buyer so he wasn't bothered 

I've been putting a bit more effort  into vans this year and have done ok with them. I have to say, the whole prep and sales process with a van  compared to a car is so much simpler and is what attracts me to them. I've stuck to kangoo size vans ( the bigger Transits and Traffics scare me a bit ) under 5k with lowish mileage. Side loading doors seem to be a must, non whites do well as do margin VAT ones as explained above. Touch wood, not a single bit of warranty work so far either. I totally understand why some dealers now focus soley on commercials.

That's what I like about commercials 9 times out of 10 there work horses for people if there's a dink or dent somewhere there not fazed by it and normally don't even use it as a bartering tool