jsr

New Starter Advice (Not your average get rich quick novice)

Hi Guys,

I'm Looking into getting into the trade part time for now then hoping to expand (Yes I hear you, no part time in the trade) buying and selling from home two to three cars a month..etc

I know it’s not easy and if I’m not careful I can lose more then I make.

This is my plan so far,

Set up LTD  

Trade insurance & trade plates 

Register at a few auction houses but also source privately and use sites like dealer auction.

Register for VAT once hit the threshold  

I don't get wrong side of CRA - every car will be sold with 12 months MOT, serviced if required & PDI checked (using lawgistics sheet)    

****This is where I need some advice****

Not sure if to supply 3 months or 6 months warranty as standard and which warranty company to use.

I was very keen Warranty Wise but in the T&C it states wear and tear is not covered for first 30 days or 1000 miles (which ever latest *not first) also if claims rejected customer is liable for recovery charges on breakdown etc. I don't want customers chasing me for recovery costs. From reading reviews it sounds like there great for small bits but not big jobs. Also there was a review I came across from a dealer stating they declined a repair as the dealer had not sold enough warranty even though there’s no set amount.

What’s your experience of warranty wise or another company you can recommend?  

I would like to look into self-funded admin warranties from lawgistics but feel I need to focus on getting the business running first.

Edited by jsr

You may be better off posting this on General Dealer Chat,however,I will be replying later on

Did you get a reply elsewhere?  (I would be interested to hear the answer/advice!) 

do any veterans have any advice on this subject , i would be interested to find the answers also

I don't get wrong side of CRA - every car will be sold with 12 months MOT, serviced if required & PDI checked (using lawgistics sheet)    

Great start and good habits to get in to re your prep of the cars regarding selling with 12 months MOT and signed PDI sheet. Re the Warranties take a look at Blackstar Warranties they offer a self funded pot scheme, they give you free unlimited legal advice over the telephone for when you get the customers who want to come back and complain and will tell you what you need to do in relation to your legal obligations under the Consumer Rights Act, they give you all your glossy sales warranty booklets, sales brochures etc.  they only charge £12.50 + Vat /case. Superb value and not aware of anyone else providing this.

I started 2 months ago and originally included 6 month warranty however I now only offer 3 months, it's all down to personal preference imo. I use handler protect, they are brilliant, good value and provide superb service whenever needed. I'd only consider self funded once you start moving properly, your approach is perfect and you have certainly done your research, good luck. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, I joined this forum approx 2 months ago and becme quite infamous for asking absolute noob questions and getting roasted but hey at least I got the questions answered!