Sign in to follow this  
Akania

Customer won't let me inspect the car just wants a refund

Hi everyone 

i introduced myself a bit earlier and didn't want to just jump in with a question but I just need a bit of guidance regarding this customer .

I sold him a car mid April for £900 which he came had a look at , test drove and was happy with . The car had a full years MOT which stated an oil leak as an advisory which he knew about and has a copy of but was still happy with the the car . 

He has since been in contact saying the car is not working . I offered to go and have a look which I did and the car is making a banging noise when it's turned on.  He told me it started making this noise and continued to drive it about 20 miles home . He told me he wanted a full refund and I said I need to know what is wrong with the car as this problem was not there when I sold the car to him. I offered to have the car picked up and taken to a garage to diagnose but he has ignored this request and sent me a recorded delivery letter stating that he wants a full refund or he's taking further action. 

I have no idea what's wrong with this car, as he won't give me the opportunity to have the car inspected . He has now given me 7 days to respond so I just wanted to make sure that I am doing everything right but without the chance to inspect the car how can I see what the problem is? The banging noise was not there when he bought the car so unless I get the car looked at how do I know it's something he hasn't done ? 

So he's basically going down the full refund road. Before giving me a chance to inspect or repair the car if the fault was there at the point of sale . i am going to respond and tell him once again that I am prepared to have the car inspected , I suppose that's all I can do in this situation because I'm not prepared to give him a full refund unless I know what has happened to the car between me selling it to him and now?

Unfortunately he is entitled to a refund if the car picks up a fault within 30 days of when he took the car. Cut your losses collect the car give refund, be glad to see the back of him. 

On 26/05/2017 at 3:22 AM, NoMargin said:

Unfortunately he is entitled to a refund if the car picks up a fault within 30 days of when he took the car. Cut your losses collect the car give refund, be glad to see the back of him. 

This is what i understand to be the case too. Just be done with it.

Its not as black and white as 30 days = automatic refund. The fact he has carried on driving it could have caused more damage, You do have the right to inspect the car, I would write to him and explain that unless you are given the chance to examine the car then you are unable to proceed.  He might scream a bit but let him, You do also have rights lets not let these plebs think they have us over a barrel.

I have had a shit year with subprimes thinking they the same rights as buying a brand new car screaming cause the 10 year old shitter has popped a bulb . I have decided to take a real hard line with it now, play them at their own game. 

Had this myself before on a 595 astra. She refused to let me see the car so I said there was nothing I could do to assist her. Ended up in court and judge agreed with me saying I had offered to go and inspect the car and go from there but she wouldn't allow inspection. A lot would depend on the judge on the day. Some customers you just can't reason with. 

I second what Mark101 stated above, i had a similar issue which i logged everything in writing. I held a couple of conversation over text which i just noted in further correspondence in writing  

Going forward and if anything like this happens I would advise if there are texts you screenshot them or photograph them as having a note might not be accepted by the Judge as your word against theirs. 

On 22/05/2017 at 0:18 PM, Akania said:

Hi everyone 

i introduced myself a bit earlier and didn't want to just jump in with a question but I just need a bit of guidance regarding this customer .

I sold him a car mid April for £900 which he came had a look at , test drove and was happy with . The car had a full years MOT which stated an oil leak as an advisory which he knew about and has a copy of but was still happy with the the car . 

He has since been in contact saying the car is not working . I offered to go and have a look which I did and the car is making a banging noise when it's turned on.  He told me it started making this noise and continued to drive it about 20 miles home . He told me he wanted a full refund and I said I need to know what is wrong with the car as this problem was not there when I sold the car to him. I offered to have the car picked up and taken to a garage to diagnose but he has ignored this request and sent me a recorded delivery letter stating that he wants a full refund or he's taking further action. 

I have no idea what's wrong with this car, as he won't give me the opportunity to have the car inspected . He has now given me 7 days to respond so I just wanted to make sure that I am doing everything right but without the chance to inspect the car how can I see what the problem is? The banging noise was not there when he bought the car so unless I get the car looked at how do I know it's something he hasn't done ? 

So he's basically going down the full refund road. Before giving me a chance to inspect or repair the car if the fault was there at the point of sale . i am going to respond and tell him once again that I am prepared to have the car inspected , I suppose that's all I can do in this situation because I'm not prepared to give him a full refund unless I know what has happened to the car between me selling it to him and now?

You sold the car mid april for £900 when did he contact you regarding the fault?