storeton

trade insurance and drivers

If the trade insurance is under a company name can any driver named on that insurance use their trade plates?

As far as i am aware anyone can use your plates with your permission as long as its for the benefit of your business / company. They don't have to be on your insurance but they would need to be covered by some sort of trade policy. 

the person driving the vehicle on trade plates has to be covered by the insurance policy which the trade plates are registered on, lending them to your mate to use on his traders policy constitutes fraudulent use of trade plates and carries the potential penalties of having the trade plates taken off you, up to a £5000 fine and up to 2 years in prison. See the penalties' in section 7

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/605321/vtl301-application-for-a_first-trade-licence.pdf

Edited by Phil H

Learn something new. To be fair I have borrowed a plate to a fellow trader once or twice think twice next time. We have always been lucky round are end of the country, never seem to ever get pulled on trade plates. Plod just doesn't seem bothered in traders near us, to busy dealing with the local youth sniffing sellotape and stealing chomps. 

4 hours ago, betginge said:

Learn something new. To be fair I have borrowed a plate to a fellow trader once or twice think twice next time. We have always been lucky round are end of the country, never seem to ever get pulled on trade plates. Plod just doesn't seem bothered in traders near us, to busy dealing with the local youth sniffing sellotape and stealing chomps. 

Plod have a quota to gather in. It's much easier pulling guys with trade plates than chasing bank robbers with shotguns:ph34r:

• Like 1