DMcC

Buy Now/Bid Now at BCA/Manheim

2 hours ago, DHill said:

Hi guys, first time poster been looking at this forum for over a year or so, decided to sign up and share my thoughts.

I find BCA alot more forgiving when it comes to problems under the mechanical report, have had various payouts and cars taken back no quibble when a major problem has been spotted. It does beg the question who is checking these cars as recently bought a car with clean bill of health only to have a severe vibration on the clutch plus flywheel rattling away. I've had too many problems with Manheim so just scares me when buying from them, the last time I bought an Audi A3 with a gold check, every box ticked yet pulled it out and it was in limp mode, EML light on. Went through SureCheck and they declined saying they only do a static check and the EML light was not on at time of inspection. I think it does depend on how well you know them, as I don't buy many from Manheim. 

Both BCA and Manheim are very keen to develop online purchase. They have both invested heavily in it and as far as they are concerned, it is clearly the way forward. The issue is whether the auction houses inspect vehicles to satisfy the 'vendor' or the 'buyer' or themselves?

I dont use man or bca so don't use the sure check or assured service. I buy a lot from aston barclay who dont run a assured service on general dealer auctions, I find the prices are cheaper compared to bca (comparing with friends who buy out of bca) but the issue is its sold as seen.

I guess I have the advantage of having a workshop so if I do buy a shed I can turn it around as cheap as possible, I guess its about having a well oiled machine, if yo have a cheap reliable mechanic and good paint man you can take more risks when buying to get ahead of book prices.

11 hours ago, betginge said:

I dont use man or bca so don't use the sure check or assured service. I buy a lot from aston barclay who dont run a assured service on general dealer auctions, I find the prices are cheaper compared to bca (comparing with friends who buy out of bca) but the issue is its sold as seen.

I guess I have the advantage of having a workshop so if I do buy a shed I can turn it around as cheap as possible, I guess its about having a well oiled machine, if yo have a cheap reliable mechanic and good paint man you can take more risks when buying to get ahead of book prices.

I follow this game plan, also gives the major advantage of doing all your own warranty issues 

3 hours ago, Toomanyclouds said:

When these cars are rejected back to the auctioneers are all your costs refunded?

No. They keep the assured fee and I have never tried to claim back transport/delivery costs as they were all bought at my local BCA branch. 

I hope as my business grows I never have to go to BCA and buy, I would rather buy sold as seen vehicles far cheaper price and try and use my own judgment. I understand why dealers use the services its their to take the hassle and risk out of major prep bills but the service just doesn't work correctly IMO.

With the exception of the madness of Jan & Feb my local auctions are cheap IMO, its rare a car makes book price as the buyers are trying to build in a worst case prep bill amount in the head when bidding which drives the price down by few hundred pounds. Although I will admit that BCA have far more vehicles available than my local blocks and numbers do pull crowds