Tom

Trade plate holders

I've been using plates for years and never covered the vehicle's original plate. Apart from being so time consuming to fit everytime, I'd be worried that I'd get to my destination and find I've left one of them on the M62.

The DVLA guidance notes in VTL301G are very clear - you cannot cover a plate, and it's an offence to alter, deface or damage a plate. Imagine taking smashed plates back to the DVLA because they'd fallen off a car? Or handing them back with stress cracks from clips, or bracket drill holes etc? The safest place for these plates is inside the car.

Having said all that - drove past a roadside ANPR yesterday. So expecting that some pain and hassle is coming my way!!

1 hour ago, Motorsell said:

I've been using plates for years and never covered the vehicle's original plate. Apart from being so time consuming to fit everytime, I'd be worried that I'd get to my destination and find I've left one of them on the M62.

The DVLA guidance notes in VTL301G are very clear - you cannot cover a plate, and it's an offence to alter, deface or damage a plate. Imagine taking smashed plates back to the DVLA because they'd fallen off a car? Or handing them back with stress cracks from clips, or bracket drill holes etc? The safest place for these plates is inside the car.

Having said all that - drove past a roadside ANPR yesterday. So expecting that some pain and hassle is coming my way!!

What you're saying is common sense, but common sense does not apply with DVLA

52 minutes ago, metcars said:

What you're saying is common sense, but common sense does not apply with DVLA

I've not really dealt with them as yet, hopefully won't have too unless it's to renew my plates!

If you turn the scenario around, and cover the car's plates with your own... and then get stopped for doing so. You'd be in a worse position, as you're clearly going directly against the official guidelines. I'd need to see some  guidelines that clearly tell you to cover the plates (which is therefore contradictory) and then at least you can challenge them. It's pointless phoning the DVLA - if they tell me to cover the plates, it means nothing unless it's in writing.

To me it doesn't make any sense to cover the plates - if you do, you're obscuring ANPR capabilities for spotting stolen/marked/non-MOT vehicles.

Infact! If someone can point me to a document that says 'cover plates' then I will take both documents, and my plates, and raise the confusion with my local MP. See what he says.

Edited by Motorsell

4 hours ago, RobMS said:

I've not really dealt with them as yet, hopefully won't have too unless it's to renew my plates!

If you turn the scenario around, and cover the car's plates with your own... and then get stopped for doing so. You'd be in a worse position, as you're clearly going directly against the official guidelines. I'd need to see some  guidelines that clearly tell you to cover the plates (which is therefore contradictory) and then at least you can challenge them. It's pointless phoning the DVLA - if they tell me to cover the plates, it means nothing unless it's in writing.

To me it doesn't make any sense to cover the plates - if you do, you're obscuring ANPR capabilities for spotting stolen/marked/non-MOT vehicles.

Infact! If someone can point me to a document that says 'cover plates' then I will take both documents, and my plates, and raise the confusion with my local MP. See what he says.

I think the government tend to listen to the police and local authorities as far as trade plate useage is concerned, not the motor trade. If the police make a case for trade plate use being abused then they'll be withdrawn. Don't forget that 'road pricing' is coming, that was the primary reason for updating the DVLA website; to allow for monthly payments as well as paying VED. Who knows how these changes will affect the motor trade, and In the great scheme of things trade plates are a minor issue.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, metcars said:

I think the government tend to listen to the police and local authorities as far as trade plate useage is concerned, not the motor trade. If the police make a case for trade plate use being abused then they'll be withdrawn. Don't forget that 'road pricing' is coming, that was the primary reason for updating the DVLA website; to allow for monthly payments as well as paying VED. Who knows how these changes will affect the motor trade, and In the great scheme of things trade plates are a minor issue.

I'm in York and thankfully we have very few fixed ANPR cameras, plenty of cars though (although never ever been stopped on plates). I think I'll carry on as before and see if it becomes an issue. Apart from the odd main dealer doing a test drive, I've never seen anyone here covering plates - they've all been on the dashboard.

Regarding VED... I'm still getting to grips with the new system. And a chat with the DVLA didn't help. I'll post that in a different thread.

Rob you are aware that the new rules that came in at the beginning of the year don't ask you to cover the cars existing plates. They specifically state to display them externally and not to cover existing plates...