Sign in to follow this  
andymc1973

Ford Fiesta 2006 instrument cluster

Hi guys going around the houses on this one and would appreciate any input, punter calls to say the needle is out on the speedo and is at times dropping right off, I've bought a second hand cluster with virtually identical miles and assumed it would just fit straight on, it won't  

The cluster needs programming in so have spoke to the main dealer and will do for £110 if I supply the part

im just checking can they reprogram a second hand unit in? A new cluster is an absolute fortune and not financially viable 

thanks 

andy 

i would expect the speedo head has an  eprom chip on it that stores the mileage and it compares to the main body computer every time you turn the key

if the £110 fee can cure the problem and it keeps you in profit then my advice is swallow it

Plug the car in and check for error codes? Could be ECU not the 'cluster' itself?

well im in two minds, got a 2nd hand one but will need coding and ford want £100, will they be ok to do a used part?

It sounds like the Canbus issues you get with Vauxhalls to me. When you fit replacement parts the old part needs divorcing from the body ECU and the new one marrying to it. Then any stored errors clearing. I assume this is what Ford are providing for the £110!?

If that is the case an Indy should be able to do that for half the price than the main stealer...

Andy

Has a failed instrument cluster been accurately diagnosed as the fault? If not you need to get the car 'plugged in'

2 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

yes it has, all coded in by main agent today, £110

well done

its the focus ( or foci) that normally lose comms with the body computer