Sign in to follow this  
grant8064

Part Ex Clearance Cars

So, how do you deal with them?

I go down a couple of roots...anything truly bad, short MOT, rough, nasty, etc gets sold to the local trader/scrap guys.

Then we get the cars that we can retail out for 1k - 3k and need to to make up the months money.

These ones are great top ups, usually better margin in them than the retail stock and quicker to sell.

The issue we have is with warranties and issues. Usually we will offer them with min 9 months MOT and a pre-delivery inspection which is fine.

Sometimes though on the cheapies i'll just test drive and have a quick inspection then retail out for £795, £995...you get the picture.

The problem is the less people spend the more they seem to expect...sold an 06 auto diesel picasso 105k the other day. Was up for £2295 but took £1900 to reflect the broken key fobs.

Next day I get an email saying the keys will cost too much so they want me to go halves on the cost ( I obliged because we don't need the hassle) but they backed up the request by quoting trading standards stuff. Getting a lot of this even on £500 junk cars.

Any advice guys?

Put on your invoice customer aware of broken key fobs and customer accept this etc. 

Then you're covered 

• Like 1

For the PX to clear vehicles i always use a trade invoice instead of my standard invoice pad.

If a customer has a warranty claim on a £500 vehicle then i'll simply tell them to read the invoice they signed, that usually does the trick. I know if they really want to press the issue then the trade invoice wouldn't help but it does the job for most of the nutters that expect a new car for £500.

I dont even bother anymore with the sub £1000 bracket, every single big headache i have had has come from this customer band.

i do have two local traders who do it as a side line and i move this stock into them, once you set yourself up as a garage they throw every trick in the book at you but oddly enough when they buy them from my mates they never get grief. 

3 hours ago, justina3 said:

i do have two local traders who do it as a side line and i move this stock into them, once you set yourself up as a garage they throw every trick in the book at you but oddly enough when they buy them from my mates they never get grief. 

Its odd how, and I know its a contentious subject, but there 'is' a place for 'bottom end' traders?