bestprice4cash

How quickly do you turn over your stock?

21 hours ago, M.J said:

If you've got enough cash for stock and enough space why not keep the car in stock and carry on with selling 3 cars in its place, 3 lots of service bookings, 3 chances at finance, etc etc? Why would having that car in stock stop you doing all that with other cars?

I've had some cars seem to take forever to sell but they've always shifted in the end, for a profit.

do you know how much each car costs you per day? I'm not blessed with loads of space but can comfortably get around 35 cars on, at a push 40 but that's a squeeze. I catn physically hold any more so need to sell quickly but not at the cost of a decent margin. On my sales side I've got 2 full time sales people/1 part time/valeter/part time admin/book keeper/ all their wages and the rent/gas/electric ect. then on top of that the cost of advertising, all comes out of the profit (sorry I know its obvious and don't mean to sound preachy) I try and make between £800 and £1200 GPU.  As Matt C said earlier I try to get the max out of the car in first week, after 1 week if no enquiries, like everyone else, fresh pictures, description blah blah, then start to reduce by small amounts until I see it getting enquiries. I roughly worked out that each car costs me £10 a day, at 4 months that's £1200 so I move it on and replace it with something I think I can sell quicker before it starts to cost me. it works for me and luckily the service side of the business keeps me busy so could sit on cars longer if I wanted to but I don't carry dead wood. has anyone else worked out what their daily cost is? apologies don't mean to sound like Im teaching my grandmother to suck eggs

• Like 1

When you take into account the cost of advertising,rent,rates,HPi,electric,water,phone,broadband,wages,Insurance,warranty work,servicing,MOT etc etc etc it will be a damn sight more than £10 per car per day I'm sure of it! I would say over a year its probably £25 per car per day on average maybe a lot more.