Sign in to follow this  
umesh

4x4 Cheap :)

This forum is getting far too serious …
SO who can help me -? Looking for a CHEAP 4X4 – offroad – FUN thing to play about with – Few hundred quid small ( SWB) I.e Jimny , Rav 4, Mitsubishi etc etc
Currently using a friends old modified Land Rover which I modified a bit more couple of weeks ago :) , All FUN ! But feel I ought to be bending my own motor and not his .. ( He’s not bother – but I am)

Just in case some of you may be wondering about the new consumer act and distance selling ….. ! :)
Give me a bell 01782 822 700 or ping me an email – umesh@autochange.co.uk
Cheers guys
Umesh

I'm currently looking to start a bit of off roading myself, currently looking for a Jimny so i'll let you know if i come across anything that may suit you Umesh.

• Like 1

I've usually got an old mk2 Mitsi Pajero as a daily driver. Outstanding for towing and winter driving. I've owned a few, I had my last one 10yrs, and it was up to 250,000 miles when I moved it on. I'm not really into the 'off road driving' thing, tearing about in gravel pits or creeping up mountains seems a recipe for disaster when you need the car working on Monday. But its attractive having a strong reliable vehicle that you can rely on to get you practically anywhere and back home again. Including fishing trips and being able to get a washing machine in the boot from Makro!

But to answer your question, modified LR's are not really 'cheap' fun cars. And if you're used to driving your friends LR then you'll appreciate the advantages of a proper 'low box', diff lockers and event tyres. That probably rules out an old rav4. Those little suzuki jeeps have a strong following and are hugely capable but like LR can rust to pieces. Try and find a Mitsi Pinin without rust and EML on too. What sort of offroading are you looking at and do you own spanners? :-)

Surely it's got to be the jimny ? The pinin isn't bad then it's mk1/2 discovery I guess. The jimny seems to drop no lower than 2k.

Thanks guys ! the LR Products are getting expensive and bits rare , lot have them in the club all saying diffs scarce, drive shafts etc hence avoiding them ! 

Will onyl a few hundred £££ :) ! I'm not serious as some of the guys 

Do my own spanners but don't really have time [ or inclination ]  to start doing major rebuilds hence a 'cheap' fun toy :) 

38 minutes ago, umesh said:

Thanks guys ! the LR Products are getting expensive and bits rare , lot have them in the club all saying diffs scarce, drive shafts etc hence avoiding them ! 

Will onyl a few hundred £££ :) ! I'm not serious as some of the guys 

Do my own spanners but don't really have time [ or inclination ]  to start doing major rebuilds hence a 'cheap' fun toy :) 

Umesh, a 'cheap one' is going to need work to perform. Even if you dont spend a fortune 'dressing it up' for offroading, it will at least need to be reliable and you'll have to make it that way. At the cheap end of the market, regardless of what make you choose, rust is going to be the big problem. As far as 'spanners' go, you'll be getting them dirty. Breakages are part of the fun?:D

The people that offroad, and who's opinions I trust, have good things to say about the ability of those little Suzuki jeeps, for the money they are hugely capable.

• Like 1

Would a freelander needing a new fuel pump be of any use ? It's an 04 HSE, it's a td4. The garage near us are storing it for the owner who doesn't want to spend anymore on it.